Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddler's Inn August 2011 - This is the Broughton (sort of)
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:26 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Just got back tonight from a fabulous six day trip to the Broughton with GregN, Drahcir, and a few others from the site. A great, great time was had by all during six mostly glorious days of sunshine. Unfortunately, I didn't get to paddle due to an injury but it was great hanging around The Paddler's Inn and hearing all the paddling stories when everyone got back at the end of each day.

We saw lots of humpbacks on the way in and on the way out we saw humpbacks and orcas -- here's a shot I took from the water-taxi on our way to the Inn. I'll post a few more of my (regretably non-paddling) photos during the next couple of days:

Attachment:
IMG_2084.jpg
IMG_2084.jpg [ 221.54 KiB | Viewed 2243 times ]

Post subject: re: Paddler's Inn August 2011 - This is the Broughton (sort
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 am 
Paddler
Paddler

It was a beautiful place to spend time, and Paddler's Inn was fantastic. That is a great picture Dan! I hope you don't mind... I stole it, but did give you full credit!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:21 am 
Paddler
Paddler

No problem Joan. I've got more photos coming shortly -- still sorting through them.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:53 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Dan, you've got a great eye for good photos - so sorting through them takes time. When I sort my photos for putting them on Picasa, all I need do is scale them and pick some more or less at random - I don't have that great eye for photos. And the scaling can be done as a batch process, so that's quick too.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ra7x.picasa/BroughtonArchipelago2011

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:30 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Thanks Drahcir, the technique for sorting through images is not the issue -- it's finding time to do so. Photos are coming soon.

Post subject: Paddler's Inn August 2011 - This is the Broughton (sort of)
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:46 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Finally got a chance to sort through the photos.

Not being able to paddle made this trip quite a lot different for me -- but one that nonetheless went by as quick as a blink of an eye. Mostly what I did while everyone was away paddling was just enjoy the fresh air and quiet in this awe-inspiring setting.

I did a fair bit of visiting with Bruce and his family (the owners of the Inn), and had brought my laptop with me and spent a couple of hours doing computer work on the upcoming and totally new WCP site each afternoon and then a couple more hours again late in the evening after everyone had gone off to bed. Mostly though, I just enjoyed the moment and the company of a terrific bunch of people.
---

This is the Broughton (sort of)
August 26-31, 2011

Maddie and I made our way up the Island after catching a 5:15 AM ferry on August 26 -- we wanted to be on an early ferry so that we could take our time driving and stop for an hour or so at Telegraph Cove as we'd never been there before and to visit the Whale Interpretive Centre.

And so my paddle-less journey begins...

Telegraph Cove:

Heading down the boardwalk to the Whale Interpretive Centre:

At the Interpretive Centre:

Passing in front of the store in Telegraph Cove on our way back to the parking lot. A group of kayakers had just returned from a trip and were using the fence as a clothesline.

We arrived in Port McNeil early enough to complete our grocery shopping at the local supermarket, stow our food, and head to the dock to meet Bruce and the rest of our companions for the next six days.

Loading boats and gear before heading out...

On our way:

Whales! Humpbacks in Johnstone Strait:

Two and a half hours later and we were at the Paddler's Inn. After unloading kayaks and gear from the boat and getting settled in our rooms, Jacquie and Theresa served our first of several great dinners that we'd enjoy over the week.

The next morning we all awoke to a gorgeous sunshiny day with everyone casually readying for the days paddle:

Before everyone heads off for the day, Bruce gives an orientation of the area talking of Broughton features, cautions and hazards, and must-see places:

Jacquie and Theresa returning from their day:

Getting ready for dinner:

The next day everyone was up and on the water early. Bruce and his wife and son (and a couple of his friends), and Maddie paddled off to the Burdwoods for the afternoon. For several hours I would have the place all to myself -- awesome.

Maddie, Bruce and his family and friends heading out:

It was Maddie's and my turn to cook dinner that evening so I spent some of the day slicing, dicing, and doing assorted menial tasks for when the head chef (Maddie) returns from paddling. That's just the way it is when you're the assistant. Maddie arrived back in the late afternoon and we got right to whipping up a six or seven (or maybe five?) course Chinese dinner complete with potstickers and lettuce wraps. It's really good being on Maddie's team when you've got a dinner to prepare. There were no leftovers so I assume that our dinner was well received. :)

The next morning I was up before everyone else and sat and watched the sun come over the treeline at the back of the bay and observed our team of paddlers rising for the day. This would be a spectacular day as several of the paddlers would see bears, and Maddie, Greg, Nick, and Darlene would be visited by a large pod of dolphins. Exciting dinnertime tales!

Kayakers rising in the morning:

GregN and Maddie head out for a trip to the end of Viner Sound:

Getting ready to go on a slightly overcast morning:

After everyone returned from their trips we had another fabulous dinner and then a bunch of us headed over to watch the sunset from the rocky shoreline on the other side of the small island next to the Inn:

Joan:

Hanging out on the rocky shoreline:

The next day, most of the others went off paddling but GregN, Eli, Jacquie, Theresa, and I hiked up to the lake that is above the Inn. The hike takes about 45 minutes and is a gradual incline through a forest of evergreens:

Lots of mushrooms and fungi along the way:

The inset photo shows this fungus from the top:

Having a high-school biology teacher along made for a particularly interesting and educational hike to the lake (thanks Theresa!):

GregN stops to take a photo of an enormous (and possibly man-eating) mushroom:

More mushroom shots:

Arriving at the lake:

Mountain lion hunter:

The view across the lake. Not the best shot but the lake is about twice as long as you can see in the photo:

Eli and Theresa go for a swim:

I can't remember the name of this plant (biology was not one of my better classes) but it's a plant that eats bugs similarly to a Venus Fly Trap:

Heading back down the trail to the Inn:

After arriving back at the Inn, GregN, Theresa, and Jacquie decide to head out for a paddle.:

Eli, Maddie, Marshall and myself go for another hike -- this time to the viewpoint above the cliffs at the back of the bay. At the first viewpoint:

The view is pretty good but if you want to see a better view, you've got to go a bit higher:

The view from "Eagle Bluff":

Heading back on the trail through the forest:

The trail to the view point is not as long but quite a bit steeper than the trail to the lake:

Huckleberries. There were lots. It's a good idea to keep a watchful eye out for bears.:

After our hike(s), and the rest of the others returned from their day trips we enjoyed yet another great meal and camaraderie for the rest of the evening. To save time in the morning, all but one of the kayaks were loaded onto the boat for the trip home.

Early morning on our last day. We would be leaving not long after this photo was taken:

Brushing up for the boat ride back to Port McNeill:

Eli finishes a painting she was working on:

Maddie chilling before we leave:

Taking it easy and loading the last kayak before heading out:

It's smooth as glass as we leave (little) Simoom Sound:

GregN and Maddie apparently didn't get enough sleep the night before:

Kayaks on the boat:

On whale watch:

Bruce heard on the VHF radio that a pod of orcas were sighted a few kilometers from our location -- it would be a short detour but worth the extra half hour to the trip. Cameras are at the ready:

Orcas:

It was a really, really enjoyable six days -- a terrific bunch of people that I wouldn't hesitate to do another trip with. Thanks to GregN, Marshall, Jacquie, Theresa, Richard and Eli, Joan and Eric, Nick and Darlene, Maddie, and Bruce and his family for making it such a fabulous time!

For photos and info of the paddling trips that took place during the day, you'll have to see the trip reports from the others.

GregN has posted a trip report here.

Can't wait till I'm back in the Broughton again...

Post subject: Re: Paddler's Inn August 2011 - This is the Broughton (sort
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:25 am 
Paddler
Paddler

As always, wonderful photos Dan. Thanks for sharing.
That carnivorous plant would be a sundew.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Dan, thanks for posting great photos with good narration, as usual.

Hope to meet you again in such splendid surrounding and company.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:17 am 
Paddler
Paddler

The reddish plant with the sticky littly Fly traps is a Sundew plant. You can see them in many boggy areas of the Lower Mainland and the coast of Vancouver Island. They are often in the same areas as Labrador Tea, Kinnikinic, Wild cranberries and dwarf blueberries . They will respond by closing very quickly if you drop injured, live insects onto the sticky hairs.

The pictures are a treat and I hope to explore the area next season.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:22 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Dan_Millsip wrote:
I can't remember the name of this plant (biology was not one of my better classes) but it's a plant that eats bugs similarly to a Venus Fly Trap:

Drosera rotundifolia, aka common sundew or round leaved sundew. We have them here too in the forest to the north, but I've never seen them.
Great to look at these photos again on a cold Saskatchewan winter day.
Bryan