Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rudder assembly problem
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:35 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Having trouble repairing the rudder set up for my aquaterra chinook kayak.
Does any one have a picture of the correct rudder assembly? Anne

Post subject: Re: Rudder assembly problem
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:36 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Which exact part of it is giving you trouble?

(I know that I fixed the rudder on an Aquaterra Chinook in 2011 or 2012, but I have definitely not taken any pictures - IIRC I had to replace the block with the pin that connects the rudder to the boat. Having said that, the mechanics on rudders of most North American touring kayaks work on similar principles. So you could look at something like a Nimbus boat [up to very recently equipped with Feathercraft rudder for hard shells] to get an idea. Depending on where you are located there might be people willing to help?)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:15 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

You may find something useful at this page; it discusses issues with that rudder design and possible fixes:
http://www.topkayaker.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=27328#Post27328

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:23 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

The pin fell out of the rudder block. Found material to make a new one by copying the old one .
The issue is that with the white nylon material that guides the cord to lower and raise the rudder screwed between the two metal prices this does not fit and allow the rudder pin to drop through.

I am sure it is something so simply we will just shake our heads when the secret is revealed.

Thanks. I did go to that Web site but they wanted close to $100 al in for a part that may not work. Still need to know how it goes together. Also looked at kayaks at Ocean River but no wiser.

May need to take the kayak to Brentwood or Sidney . Any other suggestions?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:29 am 
Paddler
Paddler

annetopp4021@shaw.ca wrote:
The pin fell out of the rudder block. Found material to make a new one by copying the old one .
The issue is that with the white nylon material that guides the cord to lower and raise the rudder screwed between the two metal prices this does not fit and allow the rudder pin to drop through.

I am sure it is something so simply we will just shake our heads when the secret is revealed.

Thanks. I did go to that Web site but they wanted close to $100 al in for a part that may not work. Still need to know how it goes together. Also looked at kayaks at Ocean River but no wiser.

May need to take the kayak to Brentwood or Sidney . Any other suggestions?

To me that sounds like the need of a new rudder block with pin (they are a unit, the pin is essentially molded into the Delrin block). The problem is that you'd need an extended pin (2 1/2"?) to attach it properly to the boat, and Feathercraft gone out of business means no easy access to that anymore. So unless you find a shop who has that part in their stock, there will be some customizing to be done, whatever route you choose.

(Forum guidelines prevent me from publicly mentioning any other commercial repair business than the ones that are already on your radar. The variety of your choices also depends on where you are located.)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:51 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

I have the original pin. Have manufactured a block. Just can't figure out how to put it all together.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:33 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

is the issue just keeping the pin locked/adhered/stuck inside the block?
is it something like this?:

Attachment:
RudderBlock.jpg
RudderBlock.jpg [ 11.15 KiB | Viewed 105 times ]

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:21 am 
Paddler
Paddler

With no photo to view, I am just taking a guess!
A metal pin in a plastic block was probably a press fit or press and heat fit. Over time that fit has opened up.

Upset the metal at the end that inserts into the plastic. A machine shop could Knurl the end of the pin that inserts into the plastic. (increase the diameter of the pin)

You might find a Stainless steel threaded bolt with partial threads. Then just tap out the plastic and cut the bolt to size. Then screw the new pin into the plastic.
With both english and metric bolts available you might find the right diameter at you local hardware. You might need to increase the shaft diameter to match what you find at the hardware store. There is also a lot of Brass fasteners out there.

Roy

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:14 am 
Paddler
Paddler

If the unit in question is the same or similar to the one mick_allen shows, I'd get someone to drill a hole though the plastic and pin and drive a bit of stainless steel welding rod through it all.

The alternative, if I had to get it done, would have been to turn up a new pin with a larger diameter at the plastic end but my daughter took her lathe away and when north so the first suggestion is the way I'd be forced to do it.