Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak sailing, best sails, what traits make for a good boat?
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:15 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Lots of questions here,
Does anybody sail their kayaks here on the west coast?
What type of sails do you use, and why?
What type of boats make for good sailing kayaks?

After watching a bunch of videos on kayak sails and sailing, I am wondering why more people aren't using them here. They look like good fun. From the various sails I have seen online, the Flat Earth ones look the best to me, anyone have any experience with these or similar? Any thoughts?
Any thoughts on rudder vs. skeg kayaks when it comes to sailing? It would seem obvious that a rudder would be better for sailing, but is it?

And lastly would a Chatham 17 make a terrible kayak to attach a sail too?

Post subject: Re: Kayak sailing, best sails, what traits make for a good b
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:27 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Rpowdigs wrote:
Lots of questions here,
Does anybody sail their kayaks here on the west coast?
What type of sails do you use, and why?
What type of boats make for good sailing kayaks?

As a dedicated kayak sailor, I too have often wondered why more kayakers don't take a free ride when they can. We kicked similar questions to yours around on a recent thread - I weighed in with my opinions.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6477

If you have any other questions after checking it out, feel free to fire away. I love talking sailing almost as much as I love sailing:-)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:54 am 
Paddler
Paddler

There is going to be some sort of kayak sailing class at Golden Gate Sea Kayak Symposium in January in San Francisco. Could be a time to get more information on kayak sailing.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:59 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

I have a Pacific Action Sail and do take it with me on overnight trips with my Nimbus Telkwa ruddered boat.

However, since I paddle with others who do not have sails, staying with the group is a concern.
They don't always want to go where the wind might take me, and I must adjust my speed to match theirs.
(Sometimes forgotten when I am having too much fun) :D

I do wish there was a way to collapse the PAC in strong wind, with one hand.
And I should take the Telkwa to the pool this winter, to see if I can still roll it with sail deployed. :yikes:

Current Designs Sirocco

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:04 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

I use a very large Gustbuster type golf umbrella. It is useful for rain around camp, while setting up or sitting and sun shading around camp in high UV situations, and will move my boats pretty nicely downwind and perhaps up to 30 degrees off downwind. They are pretty versatile and safe, and are very easy to aim in various directions to optimally catch the changing wind directions, as well as quick to take down when big gusts suddenly slam in. You can also use them in bigger wind by pointing them upwards more, somewhat toward the sky, modulating the pull to a lesser quantity than when pointed in a horizontal direction. Very quick to deploy as well. I have used a parafoil kite from a fishing rod, but found it to be dangerous, and easy to get too wet for it to fly. The kite had a very narrow range of windspeeds where it was just right, whereas the umbrella is useful anywhere from a few knots up to perhaps 20 knots. Its great to take a break from paddling and glide along. Not as fancy as a dedicated sail perhaps, but more versatile for rain and sun protection, and good in a wide variety of conditions. The Gustbuster types spill through the canopy in extreme gusts and are constructed of very sturdy fiberglass struts. In a true emergency its easy enough to just let go of it into the briney. I've generally pre-reinforced the peripheral sewing where the struts are attached to the canopy, when I've had to buy a new one over the years, in advance of use. Corrosion of the metal clip holding the umbrella open can be a problem, as those small metal bits inside the main handle only last a few years, but I've never trashed one due to high winds <so far>. My paddling buddy uses one now too and agrees with the versatility aspect. An issue is holding onto your paddle - wise to have a paddle leash if you are sailing with an umbrella, as at least one of your hands will be preoccupied. My gear doesn't feel complete without all the possibilities an umbrella offers. It can also serve as a tarp pole - about 5 feet long.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:02 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

You have to go see : flat earth kayak sail system , google it . I have one on my cetus and also one on my looksha 17. A ruddered kayak is defenitively an advantage but not a must, i do enjoy my cetus with sail better but the looksha will go faster and will be easier to handle.Check it out. Salut Seaserge