Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: arms extended out while kayak surfing
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Hi,

Once in a while when trying to go over a wave that broke in front of me, i am towed under the water with my arms extended out holding the paddle. Perhaps it happened when surfing. i can't remember. Anyway, Is this a dangerous position? When a wave breaks in front of me, i normally have my paddle to one side as the wave plows into me. i try to keep the paddle in fairly close and low, to protect my shoulders. Once in a while, for whatever reason, i get towed underwater by the wave, while my arms are fully extended out holding the paddle. Is a bad position to be in, and if so, how to avoid.

the potentially dangerous scenario i am thinking of is when the paddle blade face is pulling water when the paddle suddenly jerks on your arms that are extended out holding the paddle. This has not caused a problem thus far, but seems like it could cause a problem.

One other issue i am having is that i seem to be putting too much strain on my right arm when going left on a wave and using the paddle as a rear rudder. I realize you are supposed to twist your body towards the rear rudder to keep the box and protect your shoulders. since my arm is starting to hurt a little, i guess i am not twisting enough. Any thoughts on this?

Anybody have any websites that show how to protect arms/ shoulders while kayak surfing?

Thanks,

Adam

Post subject: Re: arms extended out while kayak surfing
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:22 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Adam, these are good questions to ask... better to modify your technique before you get injured than afterward.

In general, the easiest way to protect your shoulder is to pay attention to your elbow. If your elbow gets higher than your shoulder, then no matter what you're doing, your shoulder is at more risk, particularly in a violent, dynamic environment like a breaking wave. Conversely, the closer your elbow gets to the side of your body, the safer it is for your shoulder. If you're looking for videos that demonstrate proper technique, look for videos on high and low braces. Done correctly, a brace should not put your shoulder at risk. Neither should your roll.

When you're getting worked by a wave, it can be helpful to reach around a little to feel for resistance on the blade. Sometimes, that resistance on your blade is enough to flip you back upright, almost like an auto-roll. However, you don't want to extend your arm out too far away from your body as it puts your shoulder at risk. Keep your elbows bent, at least partway, so that if the paddle gets jerked up, your biceps, deltoids, lats, and pectorals can absorb the sudden force, not your shoulder joint.

The shoulder is a very complex joint that can be injured in many, many ways. If you're feeling soreness/pain, give your body a chance to heal a little before your next surf session.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will offer other tips.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:30 am 
Paddler
Paddler

It's a tough one in respect that when a not too high wall of water comes toward you, a natural tendency is to want to lift your paddle up and over it - otherwise it will catch a bit. And then if you keep the paddle lower next time, you can really get smashed on the nose or face by the paddle loom. So it's a learned response to change all that and to do as you do and spear the paddle somewhat into the approaching wave - and it you then get thrown back, try to crunch down more, maybe move your hands closer to the foreward blade so that it feathers more like an arrow - and read and try what others do in the same situation:
some other places to ask:
http://boatertalk.com/forum/SurfZone
https://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=36
For the twisted high offside arm situation, one thought is to move your blade a little higher up the wave face so that your outer offside hand can be a little lower - that way the stretch won't be quite so much, but probably the best thing to do is gentle twisting/stretch exercises at home so that you have more motion or at least resiliency when the problem arises.

And of course, the other obvious thing is to look closely and choose slightly more gentle surfing locations and situations because surfing is about fun: I think that surfing is just about the most paddling fun you can have for free [but you actually work harder for it than most other paddling, heh heh]. For [like me, not you] less able folk, it's not about the most dramatic conditions but about being out there and intentionally enjoying the experience: some of my most rewarding paddling and surfing experiences have been under extremely benign conditions.
[edited to add: other strategies to use are to choose the smaller waves so the stresses are lower or to take off further out and pull of earlier before the waves get steeper in the shallower water - in both those cases the paddle out will be a little less severe]

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:22 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Thank you for the reply to my question about protecting shoulders while playing in the surf. Some good tips were offered. Personally i haven't found a lot of websites that specifically deal with preventing injuries in the surf, so it's good to hear what others have to say.