Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddle the Fraser
Unread postPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:35 am 
Paddler
Paddler

I'm planning to canoe down the Fraser for a few days in August, from Hope to the lower mainland. Looking for canoe or kayak camping partners.

Bob

Post subject: Re: Paddle the Fraser
Unread postPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:56 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

i have been interested in kayaking that run for awhile. not sure if i can get the time but please keep me posted.

Rob

Unread postPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:00 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Thanks for the interest; I'm in the research phase so far, and hoping ot get up a few more folks as well. I'll will keep in touch.

Bob

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:16 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

im interested but my experience is limited keep me posted as well thanks

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:36 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Where are you planning to camp? How long of a run is it approximately?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:54 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Thanks for the new replies; I still have to get off my butt to research this, but I have canoed a lot of rivers in the past, and have had some success in camping on unoccupied Islands and the occasional riverside campground. I think the trip can be as long as a week, but people can drop out along the way, and still be within easy traveling from Vancouver. I don't have much experience with kayaks, so I may stick with the canoe personally; that would mean kayakers may find themselves dawdling or playing in eddies, whatnot, so they don't shoot way ahead of me. : ]

I am no pro athlete or such, but have managed to do some extempareous planning. I have been considering doing this route for years, and I admit that the closer you get to the core, the more challenging it will become, due to the prevalence of commercial et al boat traffic. So I'd be content with completing the journey well before the mouth of the river. Suggestions are welcome. I will review some maps soon.

Bob

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Teleiapa wrote:
...I have been considering doing this route for years, and I admit that the closer you get to the core, the more challenging it will become, due to the prevalence of commercial et al boat traffic. So I'd be content with completing the journey well before the mouth of the river....

My wife and I have gone from Fort Langley to the mouth of the Fraser several times and never had a problem. Big tugs or freighters powering up river can generate some large waves (several feet). Conditions do vary quite a bit depending on wind, tides, currents and day of week (for traffic) so we enjoy the variety.

I've done portions of the upper end and it can have some squirly currents depending on water levels, locations of sandbars, confluence of side channels etc. Not sure which is more challenging but certainly different.