Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MSR Dromedary bags
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:33 am 
Paddler
Paddler

I've been using the MSR Dromedary bags for a couple of years now for filtered water storage and they work great, but I was wondering if anyone has used them for wine or harder spirits? I can't find anything on the web about using them for wine or alcohol, so I was just wondering if anyone has tried it. I see that some people get a foul after taste from them with water and some people don't. I've never experienced it with mine.

Thx

Post subject: Re: MSR Dromedary bags
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:16 am 
Paddler
Paddler

I have a MSR and it does give the water a bit off taste compaired to my Reliance Water Container. But my buddy had his MSR out on a 9 day trip and after day 7 the water had this wicked aftertaste. So I'm not sure if MSR has a special method to clean and dry the bags after use.

ecomarine does sell foil wine bags

Greg wrote:
I've been using the MSR Dromedary bags for a couple of years now for filtered water storage and they work great, but I was wondering if anyone has used them for wine or harder spirits? I can't find anything on the web about using them for wine or alcohol, so I was just wondering if anyone has tried it. I see that some people get a foul after taste from them with water and some people don't. I've never experienced it with mine.

Thx

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:48 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Greg wrote:
I see that some people get a foul after taste from them with water and some people don't. I've never experienced it with mine.

This has been discussed here before. The issue seems to be chlorine in municipal water reacting with the liner, which is why you have no problems with filtered water. I have friends who use filtered water and love their MSR bags. Since I use Vancouver tap water, my experience was the opposite: a foul, foul taste that made me retch. I returned my Dromedary to MEC, where one salesperson admitted that they get complaints about these bags.

So the question is whether alcohol will also react with the liner. Try it and let us know!

Regards,
Andrew

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 am 
Paddler
Paddler

thanks andrew

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:22 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Have you seen this yet? No more Dromedary aftertaste.

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/wine ... ve/product

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:28 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

camshaft,

As a longtime MSR Dromedary bag owner, despite the taste of tap water stored in it, I would not put anything with a delicate flavor in one . OTOH, I tried one of those Platy things using some red wine, and was very impressed: no off-taste, and handy -- just the right size.

Alcohol would likely be more prone to leach stuff out of the liner, as well.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:17 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

They sell bags intended for preserving wine. I would be worried about the aftertaste in the Dromedary bags.

Sell 'em at MEC mighty cheap in comparison: http://www.platypreserve.com/

(I learned about these on this site. :big_thumb )

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ~Schweitzer

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:41 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Thanks everyone, I had not seen those Platpreserve bladders. I'll get a couple of those for my wine storage instead of the dromadary bag.

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:43 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

I thought it a good question and wrote Cascade Designs:

Quote:
Can I safely use my dromedary bags for carrying alcoholic beverages such as wine, beer, or spirits?

Can I use dromedary bags to carry alcohol fuel for use with a trangia stove?

Here is the response I received:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Cascade Designs Inc.

No, we don’t recommend storing alcoholic beverages or alcohol for stoves in our Dromedary bags. These bags have a food grade liner which can be affected by alcohol overtime.

Instead, I recommend using one of our Platypus containers such the Platy Wine Preserve to carry alcohol: http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/wine ... n/category

Although I’ve heard of folks successfully using our platys bottles for denatured alcohol, it is something that I cannot recommend just due to safety concerns.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:57 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Ken, thanks.

After reading the responses on here I sent a question to Cascade myself yesterday with basically the same question, but didn't get a response yet. I'm glad I asked and now with your info I'm for sure not going to use the Drom bags for alcohol storage. I was very close to doing it when I remembered something about after taste with water, and thought I better make sure before poisoning myself :oops:

I instead purchased some of these bags.
http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Flexible-Pla ... 502&sr=8-1

I see from reviews a lot of people use them for sneaking booze onto cruise ships so they can cut down on the expense of ship booze costs. I'm hoping their durable enough for hauling in my kayak, because the price was very reasonable. I will probably put them inside a dry bag for extra protection.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:30 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

not bad for 4.5-5 bucks

Greg wrote:
I instead purchased some of these bags.
http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Flexible-Pla ... 502&sr=8-1

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:56 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Ya Cam, thats what I thought when I ran across them. I'll let you know how they work out. I've got a 12 day trip planned in 3 weeks and I'm planning on taking them for happy hour cocktails.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:48 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Drank water for 4 days from a pair of newly purchased Dromedary bags. They didn't have any more of an aftertaste than any other hydration bladder I've used, or my HDPE Nalgene bottles. The shape and floppiness of them is brilliant and I had no reservations about cramming them in to tight spaces in my kayak hatches.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:03 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Drop Marcin a email and ask him about his after taste in his dromedary bag. Possibly it has to do with how old the bag is as well. As my bag is new and hasn't developed aftertaste yet. But with city tap water in a clean older bag it created a wicked after taste. Which was ten times worse compaired to hydration bladder or Nalgene bottle.

kisielk wrote:
Drank water for 4 days from a pair of newly purchased Dromedary bags. They didn't have any more of an aftertaste than any other hydration bladder I've used, or my HDPE Nalgene bottles. The shape and floppiness of them is brilliant and I had no reservations about cramming them in to tight spaces in my kayak hatches.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:49 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Has he been cleaning the bag and leaving it to dry thoroughly after every use? I know of people who had similar problems with other hydration bladders and it was usually because they didn't allow them to dry out properly. Nearly any bladder will develop mildew and all sorts of other scum on the inside if you allow it, which is probably what the taste comes from.

camshaft wrote:
Drop Marcin a email and ask him about his after taste in his dromedary bag. Possibly it has to do with how old the bag is as well. As my bag is new and hasn't developed aftertaste yet. But with city tap water in a clean older bag it created a wicked after taste. Which was ten times worse compaired to hydration bladder or Nalgene bottle.

kisielk wrote:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

kisielk wrote:
Nearly any bladder will develop mildew and all sorts of other scum on the inside if you allow it, which is probably what the taste comes from.

That wasn't the case with my Dromedary, which I cleaned and dried as well as any Playtpus or Reliant that I've owned. The taste was a strong, strong burnt rubber flavour. Glad to hear your Dromedary is working for you.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:13 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

AM wrote:
kisielk wrote:
Nearly any bladder will develop mildew and all sorts of other scum on the inside if you allow it, which is probably what the taste comes from.

That wasn't the case with my Dromedary, which I cleaned and dried as well as any Playtpus or Reliant that I've owned. The taste was a strong, strong burnt rubber flavour. Glad to hear your Dromedary is working for you.

Well, something like that I'd consider a defect. I haven't owned the bags for very long, but if something liket hat happens I will certainly be returning them to MEC.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:28 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Quote:
But with city tap water in a clean older bag it created a wicked after taste.

Its the chemicals in the tap water that are reacting with the liner. Filtered city water, where chemicals are removed, and untreated water don't have that awful taste after storage in a dromedary.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:17 am 
Paddler
Paddler

I'm wondering if it is a manufacturing problem or it is the different types of water that matters. I've found a few customer reviews online where people have put filtered water in the bags and still had a bad after taste after a day or two and some people with tap water with no problems. It just seems like some people have no problem with any kind of water they put in it and other people have bad taste with all types of water. I'm starting to wonder if it is a older version of bags that are having the problems and MSR has changed something in the last year or two with their manufacturing process to correct it. I've had my bag for about a year and I've had no problems. Maybe we ought to take a survey and see if there is a pattern with bad tasting bags being older ones or there are people with brand new bags that have the problem also.

1 year old bag - no bad taste

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:46 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Quote:
Maybe we ought to take a survey and see if there is a pattern with bad tasting bags being older ones or there are people with brand new bags that have the problem also.

I bought new bags after a bad trip with my old ones. The problem of bad tasting water was the same. The problem only manifests itself: with tap water; if the bag is left in the sun; or, if the water is kept in the bag for more than 5 days. Even water left in the bag for more than 5 days is nowhere as bad as tap water in only a day.

The water here often has a whiff of chlorine. It's also treated with ultraviolet light. Upstream there is a mine. People camp around the watershed all summer and I am sure more than one trailer dumps its tanks into the lakes. So lots of crap in the water here.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 am 
Paddler
Paddler

ken_vandeburgt wrote:
Quote:
Maybe we ought to take a survey and see if there is a pattern with bad tasting bags being older ones or there are people with brand new bags that have the problem also.

I bought new bags after a bad trip with my old ones. The problem of bad tasting water was the same. The problem only manifests itself: with tap water; if the bag is left in the sun; or, if the water is kept in the bag for more than 5 days. Even water left in the bag for more than 5 days is nowhere as bad as tap water in only a day.

The water here often has a whiff of chlorine. It's also treated with ultraviolet light. Upstream there is a mine. People camp around the watershed all summer and I am sure more than one trailer dumps its tanks into the lakes. So lots of crap in the water here.

I had tap water in my bags, which I left in the sun on at least two days, and the water in the second bag was there for 5 days. Tasted fine when I drank it from the bag once I got home.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:08 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

I had been airing+drying the 9-day trip bag out after using it, but as Cam said the water was still quite off. It wasn't a problem the last time I used it but that was about a year ago. When I got home and emptied it, it didn't smell fresh. Rinsing with hot water and baking soda seems to have done the trick though. I may start filtering my water, but considering it took over five years for this taste to develop, and how easy it was to get rid of it, that might be overkill.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:31 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

And oh boy it didn't taste great

marcmar wrote:
I had been airing+drying the 9-day trip bag out after using it, but as Cam said the water was still quite off. It wasn't a problem the last time I used it but that was about a year ago. When I got home and emptied it, it didn't smell fresh. Rinsing with hot water and baking soda seems to have done the trick though. I may start filtering my water, but considering it took over five years for this taste to develop, and how easy it was to get rid of it, that might be overkill.