Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tide Race Kayaks
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:42 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Hi Paddlers,
I'm doing an informal market survey...

Is there any interest in Tide Race Kayaks?? If I brought some into Vancouver would anybody buy one?? Let me now what you think.

http://tideraceseakayaks.co.uk/

I can take orders for Spring 2011 if you are interested

Bob

Post subject: Re: Tide Race Kayaks
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:46 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Oh BTW, minor detail this was posted by Bob at Deep Cove Outdoors. 604 987 2202. If you didn't know on Nov 1 we are moving locations of our retail store from Deep Cove to 352 Lynn Ave just down the street from North Van MEC. We are having a big sale this final weekend with a bit of a sales party on Friday Night. 5 - 8 PM 85% discount on some items!! The doors at our new location should be open November 6 if all goes to plan.
Bob

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:48 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Having paddled the Tiderace Xcite, I would trade my classic NDK Romany for one in a heartbeat. I think Tiderace produces the finest boats on the market. They have only been available here in Seattle for a short time and I seem to see them everywhere.

My one reason not to buy one.... they are pricey! Seems a little unreasonable since last I heard, they are made in Thailand.

If you are looking to pick up a new line of kayaks, Tiderace definitely represents the very best.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:25 am 
Paddler
Paddler

I would be interested in trying them, which models did you bring?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:56 am 
Paddler
Paddler

I don't know when I'll be buying a new boat but I'd love to try out the tiderace boats, will you have any in your rental fleet? Will the new digs have water access?

Followed the link to the tiderace site and saw they've got new boats coming out. The Xtreme sounds interesting and if it follows in the footsteps of the Xcite then it might be a killer play boat.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:19 am 
Paddler
Paddler

I went to the Tiderace site when I saw the link posted and was blown away when I read about two new boats coming out. I can't imagine trying to improve upon the Xcite and Xplore.

In case people didn't know, these kayaks are designed by Aled Willams. He co-designed the NDK Romany and Explorer and later created the Rockpool brand before moving onto Tiderace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiderace_Sea_Kayaks

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:31 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Lilydipper, not sure what your situation is... if you are looking to pick up a kayak line or not. Locally, we have Sterling Kayaks (http://www.sterlingskayak.com) that is gaining traction and popularity for on the reputation for being a high-end kayak brand. These are amazing boats that are built very well. They are releasing their new "Reflection" that also looks promising. And Donald Sterling is a real decent guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxHBWltYQX0

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:44 am 
Paddler
Paddler

pbabler wrote:
And Donald Sterling is a real decent guy.

Minor correction, that should be Sterling Donaldson.

I have an Ice Kap from Sterlings Kayaks. It's a nice boat but not much space for camping cear.

I also have a Tiderace Xplore-S for the additional space if needed. The Tiderace is a nicely made boat although I have one that was manufactured in Finland. Looking at the ones that are manufactured in Thailand seemed like looking at the ones manufactured in Finland. There was no quality loss when the manufactuuring plant moved. I'm sure Aled would not want bad manufacturing associated with his name or brand of kayaks since most of the boats he has helped to design and manufacture in the past have become legendary.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:54 am 
Paddler
Paddler

oy, knew that. I typed too fast. :doh:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:23 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Can't guarantee to buy one, but would definitely be down for giving the line full consideration and demos.

Put them on your (by-request) rental fleet too!! That's the best way to get a good demo session in. :cool

I've been curious to try out the Xplore, and the Xtreme looks sweeeeeet (obviously I need to consider buying one of each :shock: ).

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:24 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

I have met Sterling at Skook, great guy and builds nice kayaks. That was one of Sterling's boats surfing backwards in Rowan's new teaser Vid.

We haven't had much success selling Skeg kayaks compared to our other brands. Niche market here it seems. We still have a Romany Surf and Explorer in stock. Tide Race will be produced in Thailand's Cobra Factory (CF) The CF has gained a huge reputation of building great quality kayaks. Other brands like Necky, THINK, and SUP like Starboard, SurfTech, Nash and Coreban are all being built there.

Necky's quality has skyrocketed since moving production there. I think you will be seeing more of the Tide Race Brand here on the West Coast. Base Price will be competitive at $2995 USD, but shipping will add to that. Its still very competitive when you compare to local manufacturing ..... that is a whole discussion whether you support your local boat builder, .....and kayak shop rather that shopping overseas and buy from the Big Box. It used to be that overseas quality was low compare to local builder so you could justify supporting the local suppliers. But now the overseas quality is improving. And unfortunately people's wallet influences their purchase decision....no matter what they say.

I have only paddled the Tide Race a couple of times on flatwater, but it was nice.

If we do bring some in it will only be a few.

Somebody asked if there is water near our new location and there is!! Lynn Creek is only 1/2 block away and there is a nice little pool there where you can take about 10 strokes. Not Deep Cove but hey, you gotta make due. When we were there before some people actually test some boats there. We will usually stock one of two models in our rental fleet for testing. Our interest in Tide Race is being driven by some of the guys on our instructor team. Jack the guy with crazy hair in Rowan's new Vid. He can't help it he's Scottish and was probably drinking Scotch.

Visit our Store in Deep Cove this Friday night 5 - 8 for great deals and some drink/snacks.
Bob

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:20 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Hi Bob,

back in my Ecomarine days we brought a couple of Tiderace demo boats across the border when they were just getting started. It was a bit of a gong show in the early going as the guys at Alder Creek were angling to be the west coast importers but there were issues with Tiderace management at the time and a lack of free-flowing, open communication.

I did a couple of demo days, including one over on Vancouver Island with the boats. They were very well received, but the only people at that time who wanted one were all industry types and instructors who were all expecting a deal on one. We couldn't keep them long enough to gauge consumer interest any more than that, though there were a couple of folks who wanted one quite badly and ended up having some shipped in from an east coast US dealer.

Ecomarine ended up not pursuing Tiderace at the time, it was too much hassle and they as yet had no importers in North America other than on the East Coast. They have changed factories 3 or times since that time (they were being made by Plastex at first) and I have seen and heard nothing but great things about build quality and ongoing improvements to the design.

I think at the time when we priced them out with shipping it would have ended up costing a pretty penny - retailing at over $4K or so for the entry level build, which was just too high a price point to consider, especially as Valley was coming onboard pretty big and they were very well received amongst local paddlers.

I am sure costs have gone down substantially with the move to Thailand, though imagine the shipping costs eat into margin unless you add that charge to suggested retail. I personally found the moveable seat and footplate system to be too gimicky. It added unnecessary weight to the boat and once you have your position dialed there is really no further use for the system, not to mention losing potential cockpit storage space with the footplate in their.

Great hull designs, especially the Xplore, which I think is the finest 18' skeg touring boat out there.

If you haven't already done so you should chat with George Gronseth down in Seattle, he has been selling them for 2 years now and loves them to death, and the Kayak Academy has done quite well with them from what I have seen.

Cheers,

Michael

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:25 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Good Info,
Thanks Michael
Bp

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:03 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

My Xplore-S does not have an adjustable seat unless you're going to drill more holes in the kayak. Also the foot braces are similar to the ones in the Wilderness Systems kayaks. It has a standard back band/strap made from a strip of flexable plastic with multiple holes so you can adjust the distance from the back of the cockpit.

This is the basic same system in all of the cockpits of a the entire line of Tiderace kayaks.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:31 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Hi Bob . I have been interested in the tiderace kayaks over a year now. They just look awsome! Pretty pricy but so are the P&H's.I would very likely commit for an order some time late december for an xplore. And then again it would need to be shipped to Terrace (90 miles east of Prince rupert).Anyhow you have a supporter,bring the tideraces to BC!
Serge

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Hi Serge,
My brief experience in an Xplore was positive. Do you travel to Rupert or Kitimat for paddling? I imagine Knight Inlet would get old after a while? I spent some time working in the Eurocan mill BITD. (back in the day) But it must be a shorter drive than going to Rupert?

I am still figuring out if we want to commit to a bunch of TR Kayaks. You are right they are not cheap but from what I have seen they are tough. When Turner and Cheri were in town they had several TR kayaks. The wheel on their trailer fell off while driving and one of their boats interfaced with the pavement. From how they described it I think a regular kayaks would have sustained much more damage.

I already have a bunch of kayaks, surf skis and stand up paddle boards coming from The Cobra Factory and am trying to work on details of combining a container as all the products are being produced by different companies. Necky, Starboard, THINK. If it works out I might be able to add few TR Kayaks.

Currently we are moving into our new retail location and hoping to open for this Saturday. So all my time it being consumed by that. No computer time. Deep Cove Outdoors just bought a Speed Stroke kayak ergometer. We will be renting out training time during the winter months and doing stroke correction on it. I'm pretty excited about that. It will be a great teaching tool.
Bob

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:17 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Bump.

So apparently I've either not been paying attention, or else TideRace has some new(er) models (I was only aware of the Xplore, Xcite, and Xtreme series).

Now they've got an Xcape and Xtra.

*Sigh*...more kayaks to check out. I'm planning on driving through Portland soon, and hope to stop in at Alder Creek for a looky-loo and maybe a test paddle.

Anyone paddled one of these models?

Oh, and those looking for a fitness/fast touring kayak, they've got one called the Pace18.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:54 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Seen a bunch in Washington at the Deception Pass Dash. People seem to love them.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:39 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

They look like a lot of fun :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:03 am 
Paddler
Paddler

"Now they've got an Xcape and Xtra."

Perhaps for those of us who don't roll so well they will come out with an even newer model Jurfie the "Xkuse"

:lol:

Atlantis Talon

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:46 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

FYI Deep Cove Outdoors is now acting as the Lower Mainland distributor for Sterling's Kayaks. Locally produced,West Coast home grown kayaks. Check out Seakayak Mag's Dec '11 review of the Reflection.

Sterling's kayaks are of the highest quality, individually built with pride and lots of TLC. I visited Sterling's facility where a small group of craftsmen are building kayaks specific for the demands of the West Coast.

Sterling is an avid paddler and gets lots of feedback from the many fans of his kayaks. I have seen him on the rock at Skook watching his boats in action, seeing how they perform.

The Reflection
Grand Illusion
The Illusion
The Ice Kap

This Spring we will have 3 demos at Deep Cove Canoe & Kayak Centre, an Ice Kap, for rollers and small paddlers, a Reflection, and Grand Illusion. We will also have a couple on display at Deep Cove Outdoors

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:30 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

lilydipper wrote:
FYI Deep Cove Outdoors is now acting as the Lower Mainland distributor for Sterling's Kayaks.

AWESOME! I've been wanting to try out the Grand Illusion.

So what happened with the plan to bring in TideRace, Bob?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:53 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Tatlow wrote:

Perhaps for those of us who don't roll so well they will come out with an even newer model Jurfie the "Xkuse"

:lol:

Oh, I need one!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:32 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Re Tide Race, nice kayaks, but too expensive unless you buy a whole container, but there are too many tryers not enough buyers. I'd (Deep Cove Outdoors) rather support a local builder like Sterling's Kayaks, who is putting out a quality product. The problem with buying UK boats is that if you have problems its a big hassle, to deal with the distance. Tide Race is designed in the UK, built in Thailand. With Sterling, he is working directly with local paddlers, building in Bellingham, and he is there standing behind his product. I guess we are trying to do the "Think Global, Act Local" thing. We also buy Atlantis, another great local kayak builder.
It's getting harder to do so however, we sell Epic, built in China, Necky-Thailand, Current Designs some built in China.

Check out Sterling's website: http://www.sterlingskayak.com/
Regards
Bob

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:54 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Quote:
With Sterling, he is working directly with local paddlers, building in Bellingham, and he is there standing behind his product.

True, that!

Well said.