• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Cockpit coaming trim piece?

SZihn

Paddler
Hello to all.
I own a Perceptions Sea Lion Shadow and my 2 friends own Perception Sea Lion Eclipse and a Chinook. On all 3 kayaks the old combing trim is worn and falls off very easily. Tom at Top Kayaker sells replacement trim. My question is simply "does the trim do anything other then look nice"?
We are thinking about ordering enough to replace it on all 3 kayaks ----but the thought had occurred that maybe it's best to toss it all out and replace it with nothing.

What say Ye?

My old Necky has trim similar to what you describe. It hides the rough cut edge of the cockpit and is a bit nicer to handle.

I put a bit of glue (maybe lexel) in mine and jammed it back in place when it came loose.

That's an interesting point CPS:

my first take, without seeing the issue, is that a trim pc is a total waste of time and energy that just a few swipes with some sandpaper or a heatiron would solve in a minute or two - I mean all other kayaks don't have a trim piece, how ridiculous. What else could it be for other than a little bit of aesthetic fluff for the showroom or for those who don't wear sprayskirts . . .

but is there a devious motive where the turned over gap between the free edge and the coaming upturn in these particular rotomoulded kayaks is juuust large enough to 'catch' the rand of some sprayskirts causing wet exit hazard???? And that the 'trim' actually slightly covers this gap somewhat lessening that hazard?

So as the trim is easily removed SZihn, could you check it out with some of your skirts - or am I out to lunch here [as in other areas too, heh heh]?

No, I'm wrong:

the rough edge is turned back on top toward the inside of the kayak so the trim is also to the inside of the kayak covering that edge, so the trim just might help reducing scrapes, catches, or drysuit damage when vigorously exiting.

SeaLionEclipse1a.jpg

Reactions: CPS
Yep, that's just how it looks on my kayak. I don't see many kayaks using it these days, mostly Old Town recreation boats. It seems to just make the edge nicer, both in a visual and tactile sense.

I was told today that automotive door edge trim is the same stuff and it costs only .80 cents a foot. I think I may try some because it's quite cheap. The idea of putting some "glue" on it also crossed my mind and I may try that too but the ad says it's has an adhesive inside so it may not be needed. So it may be worth some effort to follow this up.

Back