• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Look Familiar?

drahcir

Paddler
John Abercrombie, does that third kayak in look familiar?
lunch-time.JPG

Yes, it looks like the Mariner Elan I modified and sold to a Nanaimo-area paddler a few years ago.
:thumbsup:
Elans are lovely boats.
I think I can spot the 'Elan' logo on the hull. 'Factory' Elans from the Broze (mariner Seattle) shop didn't have any logos - there were so few produced that logos didn't get developed for them.

Nice to see boats getting used! Where was this picture taken?

Yes, this was the Elan you modified. The photo was taken Wednesday September 1, 2021 where we stopped at Nanaimo's Protection Island's Community Dock. I am jealous of the Elan's owner, but my feet are too big to fit ... maybe other parts of me also. This was our first trip to Canada since Covid-19 struck.

. I am jealous of the Elan's owner, but my feet are too big to fit ...
My size 10's fit fine in my Elan, but that's wearing neoprene Creek Boots from Level Six...no rubber boots in the Elan for me. :)
I also removed the footpegs and moved the bulkhead to use as a footrest, which gives the illusion of more footroom.

What did you have to do to get into Canada? As I understand it, you need proof of Vaccination and proof of a Negative test taken within 72 hours. Is that right? Any trouble getting back into the USA?

Yes ... vaccination proof and proof of a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours. And you need the 'arriveCAN' app to be filled out on your cell phone, also within 72 hours.

Coming back to the USA, we got to the Peace Arch crossing early enough that only one gate was active. There was only one car in front of us but it was already through by the time we got to the gate. It was our fastest border crossing ever.

Back