2 "kayakers" rescued at Ballard Locks, Seattle

Astoriadave

Paddler
Well known spillway area. The guy who got washed over the barrier is very fortunate. Some sousehole activity, akin to the hazard generated by low head dams. Unclear where the swimmer went over.

kayakwriter

Administrator
Looks like rowing sculls, not kayaks. But presumably this is a place that kayakers could also get in trouble at.
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/2-rescued-water-ballard-locks/FRCPNNA4D5FRVI3AGBT3UNL7FM/
I have a bit of sympathy for general news station reporters getting details like this wrong; one minute you're reporting on a couple of paddlers in trouble (rowing shells? kayaks? They're all pretty much the same, right?) Next minute you're required to be an instant expert on some complicated financial shenanigans down at City Hall.

But I'm jaded about outdoor accident reports in the general press. It's mostly as a result of an experience I had decades ago when I worked on the retail floor of MEC (Canada's version of REI.) A couple of skiers who'd ventured out of bounds had died in an avalanche on Vancouver's North Shore mountains. A local TV station interviewed me as part of their background coverage. I spent about 20 minutes showing and talking to the camera about the big three safety items: an avalanche transceiver, probe, and shovel, and stressing the importance of taking an avalanche safety course so you could learn to use these items properly, but more importantly learn how to do slope and avalanche risk assessment, and hopefully prevent getting caught in the first place. (In a real disaster, even better than presence of mind is absence of body!)

I watched the News At 6 in horror that night: as I appeared silently on the rear projection screen waving my talismans, one reporter at the news desk held up a transceiver she'd somehow gotten her hands on, and pontificated sagely on how the victims' lives could have been saved if only they'd had one of these "avalanche alarms" that would have alerted them to the impending snow slide. Her fellow talking head nodded solemnly, and it was on to the next story. We were deluged at the store for days by callers looking for the magic box that would warn them about avalanches.

chodups

Paddler
I watched the News At 6 in horror that night: as I appeared silently on the rear projection screen waving my talismans, one reporter at the news desk held up a transceiver she'd somehow gotten her hands on, and pontificated sagely on how the victims' lives could have been saved if only they'd had one of these "avalanche alarms" that would have alerted them to the impending snow slide.
Oh my God. Avalanche Alarms.