• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

2010 Necky Chatham 17 Hatch Covers

Schuey

Paddler
Can someone tell me the sizes for the hatch covers on a 2010 Necky Chatham 17? I'm trying to source Kayak Sport replacements. Thanks

Here is what I remember (so not 100% sure this is all correct).

The Necky hatches on the Chatham line are the same as the ones used by Valley at the time. The shop I used to work at carried both lines, and they got the Necky hatches easier than Valley (which required being order from the UK), so would replace bad Valley hatches with ones that said Necky on them. Looked kind of weird...

The standard Valley/Necky hatches would rot away after a few years.

We started replacing with the SEA-LECT designs replacements, and they lasted much longer. I believe these would be the oval hatches you would use:

The day hatch would be either the 8" or 10" round ones.

Last edited:
Edit, for some reason quoting doesn't work for me this morning, this is in reply to Peter's suggestion...

Just a note of caution about the 8" day hatches: The Valley / NDK hatch rims take 19.5cm, it's a mixed bag for other brands.

Can't speak for SeaLect, but KajakSport sells VCP replacement lids but not the rims for it. So the KS version of rim and lid would be 20cm.

I literally just replaced the hatches on my Chatham 18 this week, those should be same size as your 17. I picked up Kajak sport covers for the standard VCP sizes (41/22 oval and 19.5 round) from Ocean River in oak bay and they fit perfectly. Seaward Kayaks also carries valley replacements for the same look and feel as the originals and also carry the Sea-lect covers.

I just realized I have been away from the forums for over 9 years.....wow. It really is amazing how fast time flies.

Reactions: AM
I literally just replaced the hatches on my Chatham 18 this week, those should be same size as your 17. I picked up Kajak sport covers for the standard VCP sizes (41/22 oval and 19.5 round) from Ocean River in oak bay and they fit perfectly. Seaward Kayaks also carries valley replacements for the same look and feel as the originals and also carry the Sea-lect covers.

I just realized I have been away from the forums for over 9 years.....wow. It really is amazing how fast time flies.
Welcome back!

Back