3 kayakers rescued in Burrard inlet Apr 4 2021

pointbob

Paddler
Joined
Jul 16, 2014
Messages
58
Location
Point Bob
I wondered what happened?



PORT MOODY (NEWS 1130) – Several bystanders are being commended for their efforts to save some kayakers in Port Moody after their boats flipped in the water Sunday.

According to the local fire department, three kayakers went overboard around 6:45 p.m.

“The only medical issues were exposure due to the cold water, because they were in there anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes,” explained on-duty platoon Captain Mike Cornish. “Obviously, temperatures are pretty cold right now so they had a bit of early onset of hypothermia.”

He says people nearby who live along the water and who were enjoying the day spotted the kayakers when their boats turned over and heard them call for help.

“The residential units all back onto the water, a lot of them have boats and whatnot, so they jumped into action and helped retrieve the overboard people,” Cornish told NEWS 1130. “The civilians in the area did a good job of assisting them to get to the shore.”

In an Instagram post, Port Moody police officers say they commandeered a boat from Rocky Point to help with the rescue.




 

pyenye

Aisha Daniel
Joined
Mar 23, 2021
Messages
1
Location
Orlando, Florida
I found a survey last week, and it says; almost 24% of paddlers maintain no emergency plan. However, I believe it's possible to minimize the risks in most cases. Here's the survey report;

Here's the report on paddling safety.
 

kayakwriter

Administrator
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,030
I found a survey last week, and it says; almost 24% of paddlers maintain no emergency plan. However, I believe it's possible to minimize the risks in most cases. Here's the survey report;

Here's the report on paddling safety.
Hi Aisha,

So it seems from your site that you're very passionate about kayaking. But, with respect, the information you offer there is largely unclear, incomplete or unsupported. For example: can you cite any sources for your claim in the graphic above about 72% percent of accidents being preventable by only kayaking in perfect weather? (I believe that's what you were trying to say - correct me if I'm wrong.) And what's the source for the claim that 24% of accidents are due to not having an emergency plan?

It appears that English may not be your first language, and I have sympathy for that, having struggled to make myself understood in a second language. But even allowing for that, there are serious gaps in the "safety" information you're promoting. So you're welcome to stay on WCP to participate in discussions and to learn, but please do not post any further links to your own site without my prior approval (you can PM me for that.) If you ignore this request and post links anyway, I'll assume you're only on this site to promote your own site, and ban you.

Thanks and stay safe on the water!
 

Mac50L

Paddler
Joined
Aug 18, 2014
Messages
329
Location
South Island, New Zealand
Aisha do you realize that 72 + 24 = 96% What happened to the other 4%?

Actually if you don't go kayaking then there will be a 100% non-risk and perfect safety. You might die from other causes but... so what.

As for the subject, any mention of the types of kayaks?
 

sofstu

Paddler
Joined
Jun 14, 2021
Messages
88
Location
Kootenays BC
Good news everyone,
The weather on Hornby Island is perfect today.
22 degrees Celsius, not a breeze.
So I grabbed out my kayak. I mean it has to be safe, right.
Never mind those 60 plus cm waves breaking along the shoreline.

Well guess what, I went for a swim.
Good thing I was fully prepared for it.

If I wouldn't have gone out I would have been bored on my day off.
However I took the chance and enjoyed some kayak surfing.
Well worth the risks.
 

Mac50L

Paddler
Joined
Aug 18, 2014
Messages
329
Location
South Island, New Zealand
There’ve been a number of people lately who join WCP to promote their own, monetized kayaking content elsewhere.

Find out more about this trend over at alexsidles.com! Sound off in the comments!
Because you have a good list of guide books I asked Paul Caffyn (kayak circumnavator of Australia, Alaska, Britain, New Zealand, Japan etc.) if he knew about them. Yes, and he has sent his list to you. So? Basically "Small World".

So? Paul has a list of about 1000 kayaking books on his website. https://paulcaffyn.co.nz/
Sorry to those who might complain about commercialization but his site has a lot of stories free to read / download from off the site, not all about him selling his books.
 
Top