• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

3 times across the Atlantic by kayak

Philip.AK

Paddler
This was a good listen. It recounts the 3 times the Pole Aleksander Doba crossed the Atlantic Ocean solo and [mostly] unassisted and tries to explain his motivations.

NYTimes podcasts The Daily

Aleksander-Doba-1200x675.jpg

Reactions: AM
Great podcast! Thanks for sharing. Hard to imagine that amount of paddling. Of course, I've always felt it's a bit of a stretch to call the "vessel" he paddled a "kayak," but it was still under human power, so still impressive!

I'm interested in learning more about the longest/most perilous ocean crossings ever made by people in "normal" sea kayaks. Just because I don't know what is considered the upper limit of long-distance, open water travel in a normal sea kayak? (As opposed to coastal paddling, where I'm assuming people have paddled thousands of miles.)

Scott

SWriverstone, look up Ed Gilett's trip to Hawaii. Pretty much the limit, I'd say.

Ed did it without GPS and no “support” crew to set up camp and cook meals. I’m not impressed with just paddling long miles. The skill/challenge is in handling your own logistics without some truck/van following along on shore to meet you at the next camp site.

Last edited:
Back