A fabulous documentary

AM

Paddler
Well, the Youtube algorithm knows me well, as it recently alerted me to a documentary that I first saw on PBS back in the 80s and which has stuck in the back of my mind for all these years. “Into the Great Solitude” is a beautiful and meditative account of Rob Perkins‘ solo expedition down the Back River in Nunavut over 9 weeks of an Arctic summer. When I watched it decades ago it really impressed me: I wasn’t paddling regularly at the time, but I remember thinking that I should.

Cheers,
Andrew

AlphaEcho

Paddler
Added to my queue. YouTube has been great for keeping sane during this pandemic. Look up "Beau Miles" if you haven't run into him before. He's got a tidy set of essays about adventure on his channel.

CPS

Paddler
I was just struggling yesterday trying to find something interesting to watch. I'll have to check this out.

Look up "Beau Miles" if you haven't run into him before. He's got a tidy set of essays about adventure on his channel.
I second that recommendation. His Bass by Kayak series is a gem.

Reactions: AM

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
I have to stop it at the 18 minute mark, a few secs ago, to come back and thank you for pointing us to such a calming and inspirational presentation.

Tongo-Rad

Administrator
I was just struggling yesterday trying to find something interesting to watch. I'll have to check this out.
Regarding something interesting to watch during the house-arrest we're all under from COVID, for anyone interested in traditional Greenland rolling, this is a helpful video (35 mins)

or this one, 'Modern Greenland Kayaking', a film by Dubside (2008), over an hour:

CPS

Paddler
Just finished "Into the Great Solitude" tonight. Thanks for sharing. That was just the contemplative story of adventure I needed at the moment.