A late November Pitt Lake Weekend

cougarmeat

Paddler
At Lake Wenatchee in WA, homes on the perimeter of the lake are required to keep a 50 ft or so easement between houses for public access to the lake. But many owners don’t want you to know that. So they store their “junk” (stacks of wood, snowmobiles, etc.) there to make it appear as private property.

At Crescent Bay, by Salt Creek, WA, the owner of Crescent Beach RV park claims she’s deeded the beach as private property. Even has a “guard” who comes over and tells kayakers to leave. Whether she actually has those rights or not, she wants you to think so.

Note that there is a small piece of sand beach on the east side of Salt creek and that is “public”.

My point is, just because someone, especially an owner, says some land is private - that doesn’t make it so. Not saying they are wrong. It’s just that I’ve seen several times - like in employment contracts - where one party waves some legalize to get their way when in fact, in court, they don’t have a case.

You are commended for retieving your mitten. I did the same once for a piece of cord. In days of old, before these new fangled shock-corded tents, we had A-Fame tents held up with guy line. The cord holding the entrance pole had been with me for years - accompanying me up most the common Cascade mountains. So when I lost it on a day hike to Pamala Lake, it was like loosing an old friend. Of course, though a week day (work the next day), I planned an immediate return trip after work (summer - stays light way late). I hiked the whole trail to the lake and back. No joy. Just sadness for my loss.

But a year or so later, I had occasion to open that old tent (it had been replaced with something newer) and there, in the folds of nylon, was my old guy line cord. Reunited again ! :)

These days, with tents self-standing and hammock camping, the cord, now semi-retired, just takes up a little space in my mini-kit of candle, piece of mole skin, whistle, pocket knife, etc.

So I am thrilled that you were able to be reunited with your mitten - a mitten that, instead of spending it’s life in the boring comfort of a dresser drawer, has suffer the cold and wet on adventures with you, just so your hand/fingers could enjoy some warmth. A true friend.

Last edited:

alexsidles

Paddler
The property owners at Crescent Beach are notoriously aggressive about chasing kayakers off their private tidelands (the area between the mean lower low water mark and the mean higher high water mark). Kayak guidebook authors Ken Cambell and Rob Casey have both reported unpleasant encounters with the landowners. The commercial tourism and surf report websites are also full of horror stories about them, including one posted just four days ago (although the incident reported was from four years ago). Freya Hoffmeiser had a particularly nasty run-in with them in 2017 during the Washington leg of her circumnavigation of North America.

The property owners at Crescent Beach may be rude, but they know their rights. Clallam County's unofficial parcel viewer records the tidelands here as private property. Similarly, the state Department of Ecology's unofficial GIS of state-owned tidelands shows a gap in state tideland ownership at this location. Neither of these sources is definitive proof of ownership, but they are strong indicia that the tidelands here are, indeed, private property.

My apologies to CPS for the further hijacking of such a lovely trip report!

Alex

Last edited: