A link

kayakwriter

Administrator
So conflicted...

On the one hand, the Elmer The Safety Paddler in me sez, "Stealth colours aren't the way to go on tours when you want other boaters to see you as easily as possible."

On the other hand, another part of me sez, "Smart, strong, fit, accomplished paddlechick in tight black rubber...hmmm.:)"

DarenN

Paddler
kayakwriter said:
So conflicted...

On the one hand, the Elmer The Safety Paddler in me sez, "Stealth colours aren't the way to go on tours when you want other boaters to see you as easily as possible."

On the other hand, another part of me sez, "Smart, strong, fit, accomplished paddlechick in tight black rubber...hmmm.:)"
i wear black, and i've never had anyone say they had trouble finding me visually. maybe it might be a concern at night (lights!) but during the day it seems that dark colours are easier to see on the horizon and in the water.

DarenN......

jurgenk

Paddler
I have always been a proponent of what can see you may not potentially kill you, which has been tempered by always (unless sleeping) having to make yourself seen in the logging industry. I, for whatever reason, find bright colors fashionably chic, so I usually do not mind and am waiting to take Mike's Kokatat Tec Tour in mango and am proud to admit it.

DarenN

Paddler
jurgenk said:
I have always been a proponent of what can see you may not potentially kill you, which has been tempered by always (unless sleeping) having to make yourself seen in the logging industry. I, for whatever reason, find bright colors fashionably chic, so I usually do not mind and am waiting to take Mike's Kokatat Tec Tour in mango and am proud to admit it.
Jurgenk;
i don't think you can compare being in the forest to be on the water. i'll agree that in the bush bright colours are better for visibility, but it's a dark environment. even on a cloudy day the sea is a bright place. it's all about 'contrast'.
Daren.....

jurgenk

Paddler
I hear you Daren, and as long as you have something to brighten yourself up (strobe, reflective strips, etc.) if the shit hits the fan then it is all about what each person considers fashionable as well as functional.

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
DarenN said:
even on a cloudy day the sea is a bright place. it's all about 'contrast'.
Daren.....
I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm not excited about mangos and other day-glo 'safety' colours, but I don't buy the argument that black is a high-contrast colour for the ocean. On a dark winters day with the rain pelting down, I'd think the only colour less visible than black would be the colour of Mick's dry top. 8O (FYI it's a dark green).

That said, I'll always believe that safety remains the responsiblity of the paddler. Those of us who chose to don less visible colours should posess the skills and judgement required to ensure that we don't find ourselves in a position where brightly coloured clothing is required for visibility. I imagine Freya would probably agree. Or perhaps she just wears it because she knows it attracts attention. :p

jurgenk

Paddler
Mark_Schilling said:
That said, I'll always believe that safety remains the responsiblity of the paddler. Those of us who chose to don less visible colours should posess the skills and judgement required to ensure that we don't find ourselves in a position where brightly coloured clothing is required for visibility.
What Mark said...

andreas

Paddler
you can tell me what you want, she has style :D

i find it interesting that she mentioned some thing about water leakage in her take apart boat :roll: well with my design it wouldn't leak :wink:

maybe i should write her a email and invite her to come over and meet you (us) crazy folks :lol: