• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

aluminum sectional double 1944

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
I came across this old ww2 kayak . . . heavy but interesting . . . hatches too!

20’-0’ x 2’-3.5” [bow 4’-6”, mid 11’-0”, stern 4’-6”] x 1’-4” max depth
Wt 300# plus [bow 34#, mid 212#, stern 40#, outriggers 32#]

oh yeah, mid part is reversed for confusion - otherwise real short legs for the bow paddler!:
Cockle1944-1b-sm.jpg

another similar pic [bow section obviously redesigned for more buoyancy] showing sponsons deployed:
Mk9-1a-rev.jpg

and the cool hatch system [note exhaust/intakes for if motor utilized]:
hatches.jpg

https://nmmc.co.uk/object/boats/aluminium-canoe-3/

I don't know why it is, but I kinda like it - and oh yeah, one could call this a legit sea kayak.

Last edited:
I think they used these on Commando raids during WWII.
An interesting account of one such raid : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Frankton

Pretty funky design. The adjustable outriggers are a cool touch. I imagine these would have been filled to the brim with all sorts of equipment, so probably quite a handful to control.

another ww2 story: 1941- escapes from the netherlands to Britain by folders:
sad that only 25% made it.
back to the aluminum - a bunch of them are in museums.
A few more photos . . .
sailing setup:
Mk9-1c.jpg

engine in place:
Mk9-1e.jpg

removed:
Mk9-2e.jpg

another ww2 story: 1941- escapes from the netherlands to Britain by folders:
sad that only 25% made it.

Thanks for this link, pretty sobering reading.

Google shows the direct-line distance at about 190km! With the risk of being shot if caught, and potentially a minefield at the landing.

The Greatest Generation.

Back