• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Another drysuit thread

YYJ Paddler

Paddler
Hi all

I have read through several of the drysuit threads. The Kokatat Odyssey reviews seem to be a couple of years old and focus on fit, which is pretty individual. The Level Six reviews don't seem to positive on waterproofness around the wrists in particular, possibly due to lower grade material in that area. It seems to me that a drysuit should be - first and foremost - dry! Not just while paddling and dipping one's wrists, but even in the water.

I am looking to replace a low-end Kokatat "semi-"dry suit with the neoprene (instead of latex) neck. I am now an instructor and spend much more time in the water than expected and can be rough on my gear. I've already broken a kayak teaching and realize that I need to have robust gear that can stand up to significant wear. The semi-dry suit is just no longer an option as I teach more. Paddling a few times a week where I might end up in the water only in an emergency is different from being in the water multiple times in an hour twice a week.

If budget were not an issue, what would be the most durable drysuit that you would recommend? What if budget were an issue? I really would prefer to buy Canadian (Level Six or Orange, for example), but want something that will last for many years.

In current times availability also counts, since I'm signed up to teach clinics next month where I might end up in the water quite a bit!

Thanks!

I've been wearing my Chillcheater Aquatherm suit lately and like it.
Nice 'trim' design so would be good for in-water stuff like kicking legs to surface for reentries.
Not latex gaskets but they seem to be quite waterproof anyway.
Semi-custom sizing and pretty cheap, too. UK designed and made.

I think for both tough and cheap, you should consider the 3-layer Level Six suits — the Odin and the Emperor. I have the Odin and it is very robust and waterproof.

On sale or with a instructor’s pro-deal, it’s a no-brainer, IMHO.

Another option for cheap and (very) durable would be a surfing wetsuit, either in 4/3 or 5/4. I have used a 4/3 suit when instructing because that activity is really hard on gear, what with all the scrambling and manhandling of boats, self, and other people. You’ve already got direct experience with the demands placed on gear, given your broken boat. The upside to a wetsuit (besides price) is that it requires little to no maintenance and will cushion you against abrasion much more than a drysuit. The downsides are obvious, especially when you have to pee.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andrew

If you want to stay with Kokatat, they generally do allow instructors to get pro pricing: https://kokatat.com/pro/. Made in US, not Canada, though.

I personally find the neo necks that come with Kokatat suits (and probably most paddling suits - my first Palm paddling suit was similar) not as well sealing as I wish. But neo necks are so much more comfortable than latex. If you are a bit handy, you may want to consider putting on a better neo neck. I like these ones from the UK a lot: https://seaskin.co.uk/product/neck-seal-neoprene-2mm-for-surface-suits/

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got the neoprene specifically due to comfort. I didn't realize that better necks were even possible. I like a lot about the Emperor, but no way am I flexible enough for a rear zip, and I paddle solo as much as I do in a group. The Odin looks almost as good and I'm glad to hear that you find it robust. On the Kokatat side I really like the look of the Odyssey, but the price really is quite a bit higher. Lots to think about.

Thanks!

Reactions: AM
Well, Kokatat apparently requires a paystub - within the last 30 days. My only teaching has been gratis for SISKA, so I'm out of luck. Even if I'd been paid to teach privately it wouldn't have counted to get a discount. If all goes well this year I'll actually get paid to teach! It was a form letter, but at least they replied.

The Level Six Odin is a drysuit that I've been looking at for quite a while. It meets almost all my criteria, but definitely the best balance.

Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know once it has arrived and I've worn it for a while.

Last edited:
Hi I’m new to the forum, I’d just like to comment on my Level Six Emperor dry suit. First off it’s about 2 years old, so it’s not the latest model in which they slimmed down the bottom half below the waist. My XL is kind of too bulky below the waist. I’m 6’2” and 230 lbs. After only wearing it about a dozen times I had to send it back for leaks at the seams. It still looks brand new, so I don’t understand why it had so many seam leaks. It has a lifetime warranty so it was fixed for free, but still it was almost new. To make it easier to reach the zipper I added about a 3” pull cord, the trick in doing up the zipper is to keep the zipper as straight as possible, so with your left arm straight out, pull the sleeve out as far as you can, make sure you have both zipper half’s as close together as you can. Usually it works, the part that makes it hard is if your inside clothing is sticking between the zipper half’s, it’s definitely not as easy as a front zipper but way more comfortable to wear.
Kevin

When I bought my first drysuit, I had it delivered to work because I didn't want the package sitting in front of my doorstep. I couldn't wait to try it on at home, so I tried it on during my lunch hour. Once I got in it, I had this horrible realization that I might have to wear it at work for the rest of the day. Only by recalling those old movies of Houdini suspended by a crane, getting out of a straightjacket, was I able to escape without dislocating.

It puts meaning into the phrase, "... and that's why there is more than one person in the world."

Hi I’m new to the forum, I’d just like to comment on my Level Six Emperor dry suit. First off it’s about 2 years old, so it’s not the latest model in which they slimmed down the bottom half below the waist. My XL is kind of too bulky below the waist. I’m 6’2” and 230 lbs. After only wearing it about a dozen times I had to send it back for leaks at the seams. It still looks brand new, so I don’t understand why it had so many seam leaks. It has a lifetime warranty so it was fixed for free, but still it was almost new. To make it easier to reach the zipper I added about a 3” pull cord, the trick in doing up the zipper is to keep the zipper as straight as possible, so with your left arm straight out, pull the sleeve out as far as you can, make sure you have both zipper half’s as close together as you can. Usually it works, the part that makes it hard is if your inside clothing is sticking between the zipper half’s, it’s definitely not as easy as a front zipper but way more comfortable to wear.
Kevin
I am also new here. Nice to meet you. Thanks for sharing your views about comfortable wearing clothes.

I have the level six emperor dry suit, almost brand new and after about 12 times wearing it I had to sent it in for leaks, not impressed at all by that, kind of way too baggy below the waist as well. But leaky after 12 times is not acceptable. It was fixed for free but, why does it leak from the factory brand new? I would not recommend it to a friend.

Reactions: CPS
I have the level six emperor dry suit, almost brand new and after about 12 times wearing it I had to sent it in for leaks, not impressed at all by that, kind of way too baggy below the waist as well. But leaky after 12 times is not acceptable. It was fixed for free but, why does it leak from the factory brand new? I would not recommend it to a friend.
The same thing occurred to me. I find this to be quite annoying. I don't like this brand at all.

No offence to new members, but I’d take reviews (good or bad) from more active members more seriously than someone who joins just to post a single negative review then disappear.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Kokatat and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I've never dealt with another company that stands behind their product better. I purchased a Meridian back in 2010 and it was letting a little water in after a couple years. I sent the suit in for testing and they explained the material was delaminating and sent me a brand new suit. We take pretty good care of our gear, I usually replace the gaskets myself, but every few years we send the suits in for testing and repairs. This year we sent them in and I just got an email saying my material had failed and they were replacing it under warranty. I had let them know one shoulder was getting damp and expected they would repair it as best as possible. Their repair services have been very good to us in the past also. I did not at all expect them to replace the suit. It is a 12 year old suit and I know they won't last forever. So the initial cost may be a little higher than others but......in this case......initial cost of $1,000....over 12 years.....=$83/year. Pretty fair value for the dollar....IMO.
Doug

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Kokatat and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I've never dealt with another company that stands behind their product better.
That's good to hear, but it's GoreTex that's taking care of those fabric warranty issues, not really Kokatat, as I understand it.
Also, you didn't add up the costs of all those 'sending the suits in for testing and repairs', which probably cost $??? ($150-200CAD??) each time?.
Still a big 'thumbs up' for Kokatat replacing the suit twice in 12 years....I think you won the lottery on that! :) .

I wasn't so lucky - my Kokatat Meridian GoreTex suit started wetting through all across the shoulders and torso after a couple of years. Kokatat said there was nothing wrong and shipped the suit back with blown gaskets. I had shipped that suit to Kokatat after a paddling friend was crowing about getting a free suit under warranty for the same symptom...though I think he 'discussed the issue' with Kokatat more forcefully than I did.

A paddling friend had a Kokatat Expedition that chafed through next to the metal zipper at the shoulder and another spot at the base of the hood through poor design and Kokatat wouldn't repair or replace.
YMMV, etc etc... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AM
Hi John,
Fair comment about the costs of sending it back and forth. It has to be factored in. It isn't cheap and $200 CAD would probably be on the optimistic side once any repairs are added in. I can only comment on my experiences with the company and they have been so positive that I really wouldn't look elsewhere for a replacement drysuit if I needed one.
Take care,
Doug

I can only comment on my experiences with the company and they have been so positive that I really wouldn't look elsewhere for a replacement drysuit if I needed one.
Absolutely. If I had had a more positive experience with Kokatat, I might still be using one of their suits. With your very positive experiences, it wouldn't make sense to switch brands. Anyway at the rate you are going, you may continue to get new suits from Kokatat forever! :)

I have had several Kokatat dry suits replaced under warranty. Sometimes when I sent a suit in for water testing I would get pin hole repairs done for a song and sometimes they would notify me that the fabric had failed and that I was getting a new suit. This is on the order of at least 6 new suits over 20 years. Heck, they've even replaced a replacement suit that failed. Honestly, it is hard for me to consider buying a drysuit made by anyone else. I just wish that they had put real sleeve pockets on the Odyssey.

Back