• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

another newbie...

garyhaupt

Paddler
Greetings....I stumbled onto this site from the Folbot site....and I am delighted to see a local web page! I have a 17' Greenland. It's a folding boat from Folbot that I have had going on 8? years. I've spent time off Deep Cove, English Bay, Lake Powell in Az., interior lakes including Osoyoos two weeks ago.

Many times I have wonderd if there was a group of local kayakers that liked to go day tripping. Maybe I'll find that here, eh?

Gary Haupt, Burnaby.

Welcome to WCP, Gary. We do a lot of day (or evening) trips although most are planned at the last moment. If you had something in mind feel free to post it here and I'm sure that you won't have too many problems finding others to join in.

A couple of us paddle in False Creek on Friday evenings, usually after dark, on a fairly regular basis and you're welcome to come along.

Hi Gary, welcome to our website.

As Steve mentions, we generally do most of our day trips at the spur of the moment but that's not always the case. I used to paddle in False Creek with Steve on most Friday nights but now my Friday nights (when I'm not away paddling for the weekend) are generally spent in the pool doing rolling practice.

If you're interested in doing some day paddles, please get in touch (e-mail or PM through the site) and I'm sure we can work something out. There used to be a few of us who would paddle from Barnett Marine Park on Sunday mornings but we haven't done that in a while now -- perhaps we should start up again...

Dan....I'd love to do a paddle off of Barnet, I'd think that would be a great Sunday morning. I used to put in at Granville Island on Sunday am, starting out with a cup of coffee and a bagel from one of the outlets. Now THAT is civilized!

Would there be any interest in a full day? I camp a lot on the Harrison River at Kilbey and the river just begs to be done on a full day paddle. It'd take about 6 hours and in the fall there are lots of eagles and other wildlife to be seen.

Gary Haupt

I'd be interested in a full day paddle down the Harrison River -- perhaps next Sunday? The only thing that might get in the way is that we're right now trying to organize an overnight paddle in Howe Sound -- if that doesn't happen (we'll know in the next few days), I'm game for sure.

Where is Kilby -- I looked on my maps but couldn't find it.

EDIT: Never mind about Kilby -- I found it. :oops:

Would we be able to the Harrison on Saturday? Reason is..I get up at 3 am Monday for my work and with a 6 hour paddle then all of the jostling...It'd about do me in...ok ok..I'm an old man of 55. The put -in point is at Harrison Lake..about 20 ks on the Lougheed Highway from Kilbey campsite. We'd need to do some back and forth stuff.

If this is going to come togther...I am actually going out to Kilbey Friday afternoon to camp for the weekend. There is a wondeful campground there with 22 sites. If somone else was of a similar mind, maybe we could 'T' something up?

Gary Haupt

Unfortunately, Saturday won't work for me -- it's my daughter's birthday.

How about an early, early start on Sunday?

Just a thought -- why don't we put Harrison River off until a day when it works better for everyone and go for a paddle from Barnett Marine Park on Sunday instead?

Basically, I'm fine with whatever you guys want -- so long as I'm on the water somewhere, I'm happy.

Looks like a change of plans -- I'm going to be heading over to the Island on Friday for the Tall Ships in Victoria harbour.

Gary, since we've got all this daylight now, how about an after dinner paddle in Indian Arm (from Barnett Marine Park) next week one evening?

hey Dan...I'm kinda hooped..I really do get up at 3 am for work, Monday thru Friday. Going paddling on weekday evenings are out for me.

Not to worry tho....we'll get something set up with enough lead time to allow for it all.

Have a nice time in Victoria.

Gary Haupt

Hey there, another person new to this site, athough I have checked it out quite a few times and enjoy the paddling locations gallerys. You guys thinking of doing the Harrison river maybe should wait till the river goes down a bit . It looks like it is still high. We did it last year a little earlier than this and there was not to many places to get out . We thought we were going for a leisurely paddle down the river, but there were fierce winds blowing up river all the way. We could only feel the current where the Chelalis River came into the Harrison. Also just before the bridge the waves got really nasty,and the wind was brutal. Kilby is usually windy. It was a blast, but I was beat by the end. Also don"t go past Kilby too far or you will end up in the Fraser . I hear its nasty where the Harrison meets the Fraser. Later Jill

Hi Jill...that's a good thought, about waiting till the river drops a bit. I was on it about 2 months ago and it was down, but I'll betcha the freshet has brought it way up.

I've gone down to the Fraser and it's an okay paddle. There's a nice beach for a lunch about 1/2 way to the Fraser. I went out the Fraser and didn't like that ONE bit. Went upriver a bit and I wasn't comfy at all, at all.

What I was kind of hoping was that we could make up a camping/kayking weekend. Launch from the Lake and then pull out at the Kilbey campground. Maybe that's more time than many can free up, I dunno.

Gary Haupt

ok ok...I'm a weenie....and I have to jam out for this Wednsday. Something I thought had gone away...hasn't and on Wednsday afternoon I have to look after it. I very seldom do stuff on weekday afternoons, Dan. This was/is just one of those things. If your game...lets shoot for next week?

Gary Haupt

Back