any difference in Budgie cord?

SZihn

Paddler
I am going to replace the bungies on my kayak. I ripped through the case on one,a nd they are faided so I assume the life of the exiosting cords is about done. In the experience of the readers here, is all bungie cord the same, or do some brands outlast others. I was just going to get some off the spool at my farma nd rnach store, but before I do I thought I'd ask and see if anyone knows of any difference in bungie cord.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I was just going to get some off the spool at my farm and rnach store,
I think bungie/shock cord from a local supplier is a good bet. If they were selling junk, they would get complaints and returns.
There are differences in quality - the rubber core seems to vary in elasticity and longevity. I've been using cord from Novabraid (novabraid.com) which I bought from a chandler (Trotac) here in Victoria. When I do repairs on friends' boats, or get commercial boats ready to sell (like the Whisky 16 I have listed now :) ) I often find that the shock cords are due for replacement. It's a 'regular maintenance' thing.
BTW, saturating a short section of shock cord with CA adhesive (a few drops + stretching and massage, then waiting a minute for cure) before cutting seems to prevent unravelling. The rubber core stinks if cut with a hot iron, and doesn't melt and fuse together, like synthetic cordage does.

cougarmeat

Paddler
There are definitely different qualities of bungee cord - or at least West Marine thinks so by their pricing. Another issue is size. It seems straight forward but I’ve found some vendors differ - maybe with measuring just the core or the core+sheath. I know, doesn’t make sense that one person’s quarter inch is different than another's. Maybe it was just a warehouse mistake. Once I received a hank 1/8th Amsteel instead of 7/64ths.

Last edited: