anyone vancouver locals want to try out a GP?

Doug

Paddler
Okay, so I carved a GP. It's kind of butchered though. I had planed the faces but when I cut the profile I screwed up by making the loom waaay too long. I finished carving the paddle for practice. Because of my screw-up, i didn't spend a lot of time on getting the shape just right. I'm curious if someone who has used a GP before would like to try this paddle out. I've never used a GP, so if I used mine one of three things could happen:
1. I'll like it
2. I won't like it because it was poorly made
3. I won't like it because I'm not used to using a GP

The paddle is fairly narrow to begin with (3" wide at the end) and each blade is maybe 7" shorter than it should be. I had calculated the loom length but then measured to each side of center the entire loom length instead of 1/2 the length. Therefore the loom is 2X too long. The end result is that the blade is quite small.

Ideally I would like to meet up with someone at a local launching site and they could try out the paddle for a few strokes before they go off on whatever paddle they are planning. Co-ordinating this might be tricky because I don't have much free time. Give me a holler if you're interested!

thanks

DarenN

Paddler
hi Doug;
please don't think i'm being snobbish with this, ok?
i think that what you should do with the paddle is cut a section out of the loom and scarf-join it back together for your children to use.
you won't really get much of an indication of GP charateristics from a paddle so far removed from the norm.

3" wide isn't really all that narrow. i build my paddles from 2x4 stock and the blades end up around 3 1/4 wide finished. that's about as wide as you would ever find. i've read about paddles under 2 1/2 inches wide.

get yourself another board and carve another one. paddle carving can be just as addictive as boat building. i know this to be true! :wink:

all the best;
DarenN........

Doug

Paddler
That's a good idea Daren. It could be used as a strorm paddle or something like that. btw, I'm 1/2 through another paddle :wink:

cheers

Doug

Paddler
Any thoughts on a good way to cut a scarf on an existing paddle? I'm thinking that I might need to hand plane the scarf, eyeballing it as I go.

DarenN

Paddler
Doug said:
Any thoughts on a good way to cut a scarf on an existing paddle? I'm thinking that I might need to hand plane the scarf, eyeballing it as I go.
i'd use the tablesaw. build a carriage that the paddle can be clamped to and runs in the miter slots.

a storm paddle has the same length blades as a regular paddle. just the loom is shorter.

DarenN.........

Doug

Paddler
Okay, kids paddle it is!
I checked the paddle and since I haven't really finished it, the loom still has a lot of flats on it so using my slider miter table should work okay. cheers