• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Astral Green Jacket-saltwater use?

rider

Paddler
Hey guys. Question for anyone who owns the Green Jacket and used it in salt water for any length of time : How well do the metal snaps deal with the salt water exposure? Any opinions on this pfd in general? Also any opinions on the Kokatat Guide?

Hey Rider,

I got the Greenjacket last spring and have used it since. I LOVE this PFD: it hugs my body under my chest leaving lots of freedom for rotation, etc; it is very adjustable and I find I can get it 'just right'; and it stays down in the gnarliest of conditions. It is a bit warm in the summer, but just around the waist area. That one snap on the left side (front) has gotten really sticky - to close it I need to lean it against something hard. Although, there is no real reason to open and close it. I DO wish it had closures (snaps?) on BOTH sides. I keep the radio sideways in behind the front pocket. The radio tends to slide out of one side. There are side pockets which are great for a rescue (re-entry) strap that I carry for guiding, and a power bar in the other side. The big pocket up front can hold a ton of things and is very secure. The quick release strap & mechanism is nice and small which I appreciate as well. The tow rope "pull out" holder works great in rough water for quick rescues too.

What I don't like: I cinch it up quite tight for most conditions and to get it on and off I am always loosening and tightening four straps. For me this is worth the effort to have a PFD that stays put. The PFD is hard to get really dry - it tends to have areas that stay soggy - not a big deal, because it is never dry for long anyway, but if I stored the PFD at all I would worry.

I have tried the guide vest a few times but did not like the radio antenna poking up my nose and the pocket is not that secure - the radio MUST be tied on too. I also don't like all that PFD 'bulk' right under my nose. With the Greenjacket the bulk is all down very low. Plus, I found to keep the guide PFD down low I had to really cinch up the waist strap which was not all that comfortable. I don't like the clip and zip style up front either. I find zippers in front scratch my kayak when I teach rescues (which is something I do often). This PFD has so much stuff in front (quick release, zip & radio) that it makes re-entries more difficult because the gear tends to get snagged (this may also have something to do with my body shape).

Hope this helps.

Back