Balaclava?

dermot

Paddler
Planning on getting wet this winter, we have light weight beenies and balaclavas for underneath helmets,
but are wanting to be as un-cold as possible given we know we are going to get cold....

Looked at NRS storm hood, recommended by Kayak Academy:

and MEC has:
but it's not avb in any size but XL (would work for moi, but not for Eva...)

is there any other / better option than the NRS?
reviews on the NRS mentioned it running smaller size than expected, and needing to cut off the neck to fit a dry suit
any thoughts on this one?

CaliPaddler

Paddler
I love the NRS Storm hood. I don't understand the comment about needing to trim it. The collar lays between the latex gasket and the neoprene overcuff of my Kokatat drysuit.

cougarmeat

Paddler
I have an NRS cap. It is neoprene, has a short bill, covers head and ears with a snap under the chin to hold it on. So not as robust and the Fusion Surf Hood - but also not as bulky. No need to interact with the collar of a drysuit. I don’t see it on their website now, but it is more like the Storm Cap than the Storm hood. From what I’ve read, you’ll want to be sure the hood works with any helmet you might be using. The cap is probably thinner so less size differential between wearing it and not as far as helmet fit.