Barracuda kayaks?

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Whenever we meet, you are more than welcome to try my kayak, if you can fit in it.
You would probably love how light and playful it feels, but hate the lack of comfort.
Thanks for that offer.
I built a 'rolling kayak' based on the Pygmy Arctic Tern with a very low deck, years ago.
My conclusions- Take rolling instruction from a great teacher like Yves Aquin; don't try shortcuts with 'trick' boats!
I sold that boat to another paddler who liked it a lot.
I don't think I could enjoy a very low deck boat for ordinary paddling- I've gotten 'spoiled' over the years since then.
I have an unused set of Black Pearl plans on the shelf. :)

sofstu

Paddler
You commented on my repairs 6 weeks ago or so, when I hit a similar rock.
The fabric flexed over the rock except where the ribs were.
Yes I got wet, but after a few km paddle only had a couple inches of water and inside.
2 hours patching later and as good as new
They just don't rip wide open.
With a sea sock I would have been safe paddling all day, although very uncomfortable.

I have actually flooded my boat once, and it still floated with me inside.
I am not a lightweight either.

I will tell you what I like the most about SOF boats.
They are light enough to lift and carry on your own.
So most people get out there and use them.
I think we all know people with kayaks, and canoes too heavy to lift.
Who never get out for that reason alone.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
With a sea sock I would have been safe paddling all day, although very uncomfortable.
I think a sea sock is used to prevent water from the cockpit flooding the rest of the boat, (?) not as a safeguard against hull damage.
I agree that with good adequate-size flotation bags you would not sink.

One reason that many SOF boats are lightweight is that they are built 'Greenland-style' - narrow and very low-volume (decks almost awash). Plywood boats of that type (Shrike, Black Pearl S&G, Pygmy Freya) have been built to quite light finished weights.
And skipping the bulkheads and hatches (and usually decklines) saves weight, too. :)

sofstu

Paddler
A sea sock stops water both way.
If I get a hole in the hull I still stay dry and the extra air it helps trap keeps it more buoyant.
I usually use float bags but not always. It largely depends upon where I am paddling and what I am doing.
Just paddling around with friends, sandy bottom and shores then do I really need them?
Rolling or going somewhere with hidden rocks then yes.

I imagine your boat is at least light enough for you to handle on your own.
And you use it for it's intended purpose.

The best thing about both our kayaks is we can actually repair them when needed.
I know you could even sew a patch onto mine, and I have done several fiberglass repairs in the past.

Oh how this post has changed from the original topic :whistling: