Beckson Deckplate gasket lube?

Kayak Jim

Paddler
On my stitch and glue boat I used 8" Beckson pry out deck plates for fore and aft hatches (with a webbing loop for openning and safety tabs). They have an o-ring gasket. Is it advisable to lubricate this gasket to both promote sealing and to ease openning? If so, what is appropriate lube? I don't see anything on the Beckson website about this, nor what material the o-ring is made of. Thanks.

1597287909221.png

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I found this:
BECKSON PRY-OUT DECK PLATES:
The Beckson Pry-Out Deck Plate Gasket provides both the closure and seal for the Deck Plate Set. The Gasket should be inspected with every opening of the plate. If the Gasket is dirty, remove and clean the gasket and the gasket groove with soap and water and replace the gasket. Also clean the mating surfaces of the Mounting Ring or Center with soap and water. Pry-Out gaskets should never be lubricated. If the Mounting Ring or Center has been damaged or gouged by using an improper tool to remove the Center, the Deck Plate should be replaced. IF THE GASKET APPEARS WORN, DAMAGED OR FLATTENED, REPLACE THE GASKET. WHEN RE-INSTALLING, THE CENTER SHOULD PRESS IN WITH SOME RESISTANCE. IF IT FEELS LOOSE, REPLACE THE GASKET. GENUINE BECKSON GASKET SPARES SHOULD BE KEPT ABOARD WITH OTHER SAFETY EQUIPMENT.
Link:

Beckson recommends lube (silicone) on the threads of the screw out plates. When I had kayaks with those plates, I found that lube was a magnet for sand, and tended to make things worse, unless I was very sparing in the lube application.

Roy222

Paddler
If you use spray silicone be sure to mask or cover all other areas.
Silicone could cause refinishing problems sometime in the future.
I guess the biggest problem would be long term storage with a closed tight cover plate. Storing a decompressed seal will extend the life of the seal.
(the exception being high ozone in the air - for long, long term storage I would remove the seal and seal the seal in a zip lock bag. )
I know this works because I had a pair of wadders last over 20 years stored in two 3 mill trash bags. The wadders still smelled LIKE new after 20 years.
Then any lubricant could chemically change over time and become a glue.
The old saying, " if it not broke ,don't fix it", If it is not sticking don't lube it.
Oh! try to order replacement seals now to store.

benson

Paddler
I wonder how one of the new "dry" bike chain lubes using a parafin base would work as an alternative. They seem to lube well and minimize the debris sticking to a chain.

Kayak Jim

Paddler
They are tight (that's good) but not really sticking (also good) so I'll leave them alone. I do store them open. 303 Protectant might be good to extend the life but they aren't really exposed to UV so I'll pass on that too.