• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Beecher Bay

Sou'wester

Paddler
Hi,

Tried finding an answer her and on the web with no luck. Does anyone know of any good put-ins in Beecher Bay on Vancouver Island. Thanks Mark

The two marinas or the park with the long carry down and no night parking.

Sou'wester said:
Thanks

I was aware of the marinas, is the parking an issue?

Comment about parking was for the park, not marinas. Called the band office yesterday to see if any access was allowed off the reserve land (Sitacum and Charles I think are the two roads) but the office indicated their marina only.

Try Pedder Bay just next door, so to speak, not too bad a paddle to get to Beecher, maybe 2 nmi or so..
Lots of parking at Pedder Bay marina, $10.00 to park and launch,safe and secure.
Right off Rocky Point rd, easy to find.

Rodnak Kayak said:
Try Pedder Bay just next door, so to speak, not too bad a paddle to get to Beecher, maybe 2 nmi or so..
Lots of parking at Pedder Bay marina, $10.00 to park and launch,safe and secure.
Right off Rocky Point rd, easy to find.

+1
:big_thumb
Much better than the band-run marina in Beecher.
Paved parking vs gravel and roadside
Friendly vs not....
Clean indoor washroom vs dirty Porta-Potty
Covered 'porch' outside office/coffee shop when you can hang out, wait for friends

Another option, and I realize that you are now getting further away from your original launch point in Beecher bay but just a little up the road from the Pedder bay marina is Taylor rd. There is a small parking lot enough for 8 or 9 cars with very easy access to the water. Paddle west from there and if the currents favor it you can get around Race or hide behind Bentinck Island pretty quickly. Watch for inmates floating past, apparently two managed to find a way to escape from the resort I mean penitentiary a last week!

Thanks again guys.

To a new guy like me this site is priceless.

Not related to my original question but I found easy beach access at Weir Beach at the end of Sandgate road if anyone is looking for put-ins( I hope the link works).

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?hl= ... !2e0&fid=5

I just bought a new used Seaward Quest, going around the point at the prison was the first time I almost dumped her. I am getting used to her but I still feel like an ant riding a pencil in a tub.

That's good info - thanks for that! I've put in at Taylor Road quite a few times but that's a little closer to Race Rocks. Nice to save a bit more energy for paddling the race on a windy spring day, so getting a put-in that's a little closer is always welcome.

Sou'wester - try putting some weight in your hatches, as close as you can to the bulkheads. 10 - 15 lbs in each will help the boat settle down in the water more. The Quest is an awesome touring boat when loaded, but a little tippy empty. Of course as you gain experience you will be able to leave the weights at home. Enjoy.

Back