Big Chop - Summer Paddle Series 2007

waverider

Paddler
looks interesting, I could be up for kicking some butt! I will read all the info about it tomorrow

Houston

Paddler
Did anyone do this last year? How competitive is it? Are there different categories within the kayak classes? I'm a decent paddler, but I'm nervous about being way out of my league and left in the dust, being laughed at and then spending the rest of the year in therapy with esteem issues.

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
Houston, I'm sure you'd do great!

Obviously there are different classes for different types of boats (I'd hate to see surf-skis racing directly against touring kayaks!). Competing against other types of touring boats could be tough enough - I'm still amazed at how much faster two boats of equal length can be (with variables in rocker, width, effective waterline, hull shape etc. etc.). In some ways it's really neat to see how much two similar boats can be so different in handling characteristics!

Robert_Meier

Paddler
I noticed on the site that the race starts at 7pm and the prize-giving / awards it at 8pm. Some nights the distance is 7km and other nights it's 10km. That means that there's 1 hour (or less) to paddle between 7km and 10km (i.e. 7km/h - 10km/h or faster). Those type of averages seem on the fast side to me.

I'm keen on doing it but am hesitant, hence asking if anyone else was going to be doing it. Maybe I should go on Thursday just as a spectator. :?:

DarenN

Paddler
Robert_Meier said:
That means that there's 1 hour (or less) to paddle between 7km and 10km (i.e. 7km/h - 10km/h or faster). Those type of averages seem on the fast side to me.
:
Robert;

I 'KNOW' that your boat is capable of cruising at those speeds. but the "motor" has to be up to it. when that boat was mine and i was paddling at least once a week, i could cruise for an hour at 4.5 mph (statute). that's just over 7kmph.
you have broader shoulders and a deeper chest than i do, and you don't smoke, so the potential is there to excede my best. it's up to you, cause i know the boat can do it.
the King might be one of the fastest touring kayaks on the water today. and very well behaved while doing it.

DarenN.......

Robert_Meier

Paddler
I have no doubt the boat can do it. I've got some really good speed with the King. My concern is that I'm using a plastic paddle for now which is rather heavy. I could do 7km/h, but when the race is 10km I'll be taking almost 1.5 hours to complete the race. I'm sure everything will be over by then, and I'll just be coming in. :? What about other paddlers who don't have a fast boat?

DarenN

Paddler
just a suggestion, Robert.

you've been paddling (training) with a heavey paddle. quickly go and buy a new, better, lighter paddle. go out a couple times to get used to it and then go racing!!
i'd lend you my Lightning but it's a touring paddle. short-ish, and the blades are too small, for racing. i'm thinking Werner, and that you should talk with a mutual friend of ours.

DarenN............

mewisemagic

Paddler
like the idea

It looks interesting, but I have some of the same reservations. Number one, I'm a newbie and don't have great form. I would just like to go out and race to see how I would do. I might go out and be a spectator and maybe go to a couple of the clinics.

Houston

Paddler
Ugh, I just found out my rack STILL isn't ready for my car, so I have no way of getting my boat to the first race. I'm going to go watch on Thursday, then see if I'll meet up....

Mark, I understand the seperation of kayak TYPES, but is there novice/male/or female categories?

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
Robert, I highly doubt that a 10km course will be finished within an hour in a touring kayak. My Explorer is certainly not considered a fast boat, but when I'm in good shape I can't sustain a speed any more than 8km/h (probably more like 7.5 or maybe a little better in perfectly flat water). I can get it up to around 11.5 km/h on flat water in an all-out sprint but that only lasts a couple of seconds. Some boats are faster than others, but staying over about 8-8.5 km/h for over an hour is something I'd really like to see!

If it were here, I'd enter just for fun and see how I did! You can learn a lot that way, and if nothing else it would be worth the experience.

waverider

Paddler
Robert wrote: I e-mailed the organizers. They said they wait for everyone to finish.

All I got to say to that is Get the flood lights out! :lol: as I fit into the catagory of- " What about other paddlers who don't have a fast boat?" :lol:

In all reality I think it would be a good learning experience and a good time no matter where you finished.