• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Billy Davidson Book (Kayak Bill)

size 12 shot in a .22 shotshell will discourage snakes at close range (10 feet ?)
That has been my life experience, as well. I have to say, though, that as a college student drinking beer and shooting rats at the Everett dump I would sometimes switch to birdshot because I was more apt to actually hit the damn rodent. Not necessarily kill them but clearly hit and hurt them. Strangely satisfying back then when under the influence 3.2 beer.................did I just say that out loud?

His lifestyle, admired by many, had made him susceptible to many forms of early death...

A point often missed by the "survivalists" of the world.

Personally, I like being able to talk to my doctor when I'm unwell. Modern medicine is the way to go.

I recall a TV doco on a forensic archaeologist who was sorting through ancient bones and explaining their injuries. Among the healed, misaligned fractures that would have caused misery for the owners he held up a human jawbone. Missing a couple of teeth it also had a chunk of bone missing and he said that would have been caused by an abscess, which probably killed the person.

I suspect the person actually died after jumping off a cliff in their deranged agony!

page 45:
"The first climbers up Alberta were a group of Japanese Alpine Club members, in 1925. They left a silver ice axe on the summit, which was later brought down to a museum."

The silver ice axe was not:

page 81:
"In July 1957, Warren started up the Nose
To protect the cracks, they used wooden legs from a stove
The cracks became known as the Stove Legs Cracks."

How can you be a climber and not know about the stove legs ??

StovelegPiton.jpg

This piton, made by Frank Tarver, was made by sawing off the legs of an old wood stove. These pitons proved to be the key to getting past the wide cracks on the lower third of the Nose of El Capitan during the first ascent. These cracks are called the Stovelegs to this day.

Last edited:
Back