Bought a Canon 2S iS - now what?

ztar

Paddler
Thanks to all the members of this forum for the informative discussions of cameras. Based on what I read here and much research, I opted for the Canon 2S iS.

So far, I'm overwhelmed by all the options (and the quality I can wring out of it -- compared to the HP215 I was using before).

With my HP215 on the kayak, my attitude was rather cavalier. The new Canon likely deserves/needs more cautious treatment. Now that I have the camera, what would members of this forum recommend re precautions I should take (aside from skooting under low-hanging docks around Granville Island <GRIN>).

Thanks

ztar

Paddler
Darren_McQuitty said:
Congrats! 8)
I would start with one of these.

http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html
That sounds prudent.

My next query may sound simple, but I never "worried" when I was using my HP215; what "tricks" do you more experienced kayakers and photographers have regarding keeping the camera both handy and dry and safe?

As you can see, I'm a bit paranoid with my new baby.

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
After shelling out my lifes savings for the S2is, I couldn't afford a Pelican case so I've customized (with foam) a waterproof Lock-n-Lock container to store the camera, spare batteries, memory cards and a few filters. While in the kayak, I keep it in a variety of places depending on how much there is to photograph (ie doing a crossing vs paddling a shoreline) and what the conditions are like. If seas are lumpy, I'll keep it in the lock-n-lock in the day hatch, and grab it when I need it. In calmer seas but rainy weather, I'll usually keep it handy in my knee tube - so I can grab it quite quickly by popping the spray deck. In good weather, I'll hang it around my neck with just an old ever-ready case (from an old 35mm SLR) to protect if from the odd paddle drip etc. Of course, I paddle very gingerly when it's in this position, but I get lots of good shots as it's quick and easy to snap a few shots.

None of these are ideal - I'm really hoping that Canon will eventually make one of their wonderful waterproof housings for it, although they have not indicated so far that anything is in the works for such a thing.

DarrenM

Paddler
Mark_Schilling said:
I'm really hoping that Canon will eventually make one of their wonderful waterproof housings for it, although they have not indicated so far that anything is in the works for such a thing.
Yup that housing kicks butt. I just tie my camera to the deck and let it drag in the water :wink:

Astoriadave

Paddler
Wow, ztar! That's a lot of camera: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s2is.html

I use an old Olympus 2 Megapixel unit, and keep it in a MicroCase from Pelican, on the deck, so it's handy. If it craters, I figure that will be an excuse to upgrade.

But, I don't think I'd feel very secure with a camera as large as the S2 iS in a MicroCase. At 4.45 x 3.07 x 2.97 in, I suspect I'd go for a larger Pelican case and lash it to my deck.

I'll be eager to see your photos!

ztar

Paddler
Astoriadave said:
Wow, ztar! That's a lot of camera: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s2is.html

I use an old Olympus 2 Megapixel unit, and keep it in a MicroCase from Pelican, on the deck, so it's handy. If it craters, I figure that will be an excuse to upgrade.
That was my "hope" with my HP215: that it would go for a swim so I'd have an excuse to upgrade. However, there were three factors that prompted me to go for an earlier upgrade: (1) my daughter kept complaining, "Dad, is that all you ever take: landscape shots!?", (2) I was tired of saying, "Now, you see that dot way over there? Well that's a seal/heron/racoon.", and (3) a few guys on this forum seemed very high on the 2sis and the 1sis predecessor -- they made a compelling case, as did the pics on the beautiful trip reports here on WCPaddler.

Dave_Barrie

Paddler
LOL - you will be very happy with it. Hopefully Canon will catch up and produce the waterproof housing that we have for our S1's - in the meantime an Otter Box, Pelican Case or Underwater Kinetics Dry Box will keep it safe.....while it's in the box :p

Astoriadave

Paddler
Dave_Barrie said:
Hopefully Canon will catch up and produce the waterproof housing that we have for our S1's - :p
I have not been paying attention to the gear you guys use to get all the great photos -- are you all pretty pleased with your S1's? For most of what I do, an S1 would suffice, I believe, and at about $200 cheaper than the S2, I might be tempted. And, what housing are you using? Thanks a heap.