Broughtons, Boyles Point

AlphaEcho

Paddler
I was going to throw this into Trip Reports, but it's not a report, but a query for current intel on a site.

I've been invited on a trip to the north side of the Broughtons this season. Our trip planners visited Boyles Point (the mainland side of the crossing from Malcolm Island and Numas Islands) in the past, but tent spaces seemed limited at that time.

BoylesPoint.png

The BC Marine Trails notes say there are 6 tent sites, but the entry is not dated or validated.

Has anyone been by there recently and can you share any information you have about this site?

alexsidles

Paddler
I tried to land on that beach during an Inside Passage solo in 2011, but there were two black bears prowling the shore as I approached. I moved on to the next beach to the west, midway between Boyles Point and Lewis Cove.

That alternative beach was extremely rocky at all tides, with no upland campsites. I pitched my tent on a shelf of rock above the tide line. The next day, the two bears (or two other bears) approached me to within 40 yards, undeterred by my shouting and rock-throwing. They were flipping over rocks on the beach to look for prey.

In my opinion, this stretch of Queen Charlotte Strait is poor for camping. However, I came through without the benefit of a guidebook or map of campsites, so it’s quite likely I overlooked campsites, possibly even very good ones. I thought the Broughtons were poor, too, until I returned a few years later with Peter McGee’s guidebook. As always, your experience may vary from mine.

Alex

Last edited:

AlphaEcho

Paddler
Thank-you for your comments. I do appreciate the references to various guidebooks around. As good as they are, I feel as though it would be better to be able to get regular updates in a systematic way.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
regular updates in a systematic way
join the bcmarinetrails as they have/are instigating a site report process - and maybe become a director and get the real background info!

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
join the bcmarinetrails as they have/are instigating a site report process - and maybe become a director and get the real background info!
Once you join BCMTN, be sure to immediately download the info you find there. If you wait, you may find that they have 'de-listed'an area that once was available for paddling.

AlphaEcho

Paddler
There's reasons why sites are 'disappeared' off the map. Not saying I agree. Nor am I saying it's possible to have transparency in every situation, but it's not completely arbitrary.

AlphaEcho

Paddler
Update on this -- I got a first hand report from a paddling friend who visited in 2019.

This is a good example of why you cannot rely on satellite imagery. I checked on multiple mapping services with satellite views, the beaches west and east of the point appear to be sandy, but this is not the case. My source says that they are cobble and boulder at low and mid-tides, and then choked with driftwood between the high-tide line and the upland. Not a fun carry ..

If you can get through the driftwood to the uplands, they are dense brush.

The best approach is at high tide. Just inside the hook of the point on the east side there is a rock ledge which you can float over and then unload your boat. On the neck behind the point at that side is a small cleared area in the upland that has room for 2 tents.

That may not sound appetizing, but as @alexsidles found, it may be the best of a very short list of options.

Bonus -- apparently there are two (cast iron?) tubs on that beach. A local outfitter told my friend that when they visit, they fill the tubs with water, light fires under, and enjoy a hot soak.

I'll let you know what I find when I get there.