• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Budget Template

sbourgoin

Where the paddle takes me
Afternoon,
I'm in the process of budgeting for my Victoria to Glacier Bay 2025 Expedition and I am curious if anyone has a budget template that they like using for a multi-week trip as well as a gear/supply/food list that you would be open to sharing? Anything that you can share would be appreciated.
I have a decent list in the making for equipment and supplies, but look to see what other's are using or have perfected over the years.
Cheers,
Shawn

Wow! That's a quite the long trip you have planned!

Here's a SKABC page with various basic templates, and here's a template for expense sharing. Attached is a picture of a Google custom map with routes planned for different legs of a trip of any length. If you have a Google account, you can see a working version with the coloured route lines here (otherwise without an account it will just show the markers only). This is a great resource to share as part of your float plan, and if you have connectivity on a trip, you can update it as needed for others to see your progress.

For a trip of your length, you'll presumably be sharing your route with others via a Spot or InReach satellite device (?) or something similar.

Please feel free to share pictures and stories of your trip on the Trip Report section of this forum.

All the best on your trip!!

Attachments

• example-kayaking-route-gmap.jpg
    example-kayaking-route-gmap.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 68
Thank you for the Google Custom Maps link. Note that you can select your layer - flat 2-D map or Satellite view. There isn't one with contour lines, but the rightmost top row selection is sort of a 3-D rendering.

Custom Google maps are great. We annotate ours with info about fishing/no-fishing areas, IR, known and potential campsites, water sources and so on.
You can export KML file (or was it KMZ, I always forget) to Avenza maps app and the map comes complete with the data that you have in each pin (e.g. coordinates).

See: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Rn_8SveZ1i-Whauo8zzKoRQh7IhFoNGu&usp=sharing

Big thank you to BC Marine Trails folks for much of the info that I put in (and John Kimantas via his books).

Custom Google maps are great. We annotate ours with info about fishing/no-fishing areas, IR, known and potential campsites, water sources and so on.
You can export KML file (or was it KMZ, I always forget) to Avenza maps app and the map comes complete with the data that you have in each pin (e.g. coordinates).

See: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Rn_8SveZ1i-Whauo8zzKoRQh7IhFoNGu&usp=sharing

Big thank you to BC Marine Trails folks for much of the info that I put in (and John Kimantas via his books).
This will definitely be useful. John Kimantas books are a wealth of information. I am thankful to have 2 copies the BC Coastal Rec kayak atlas…one for on trips and the other kept pristine at home. Can’t seem to find this map book anywhere. Maybe a new and revised addition will be coming out one day.

Maybe a new and revised addition will be coming out one day.
Not anytime soon, I'm afraid. John Kimantas told me a couple years ago he is pausing work on his various kayaking guidebooks because the treaty negotiations have cast too much uncertainty over public access to the coast. He doesn't expect to issue a new guidebook for another decade, at least.

Kimantas does have a line of standalone "recreation mapsheets," which he keeps more current. I think they are print-on-demand, so maybe he doesn't have to invest as much into them as he does the books.

The recreation mapsheets have been updated as recently as 2018 and 2020, and he is planning additional updates. They are the most up-to-date Kimantas products for the foreseeable future. They are printed on waterproof paper, perfect for using on deck.

In typical bewildering Kimantas fashion, there are multiple series of overlapping maps, so it's hard to figure out which specific map you want. I think in general, higher numbers are better, so 200-series maps are better than 100-series, and 400-series maps are better than 200-series. But the 300-series is not printed on waterproof paper, so it's maybe not as good as the others. Don't ask me to explain what it all means, nobody knows!

Alex

Back