• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Camera Advice Wanted

Astoriadave said:
Did not know about the WP case.

for Canon cameras, check this page for availability/compatability of WP cases. (i imagine some of the other manufacturers have the same; i just haven't looked.)

http://estore.usa.canon.com/SearchResul ... NTOID=4737

storey of my life - too little, too late. i found all this stuff after i bought a dedicated WP camera. if i had it to do over, i'd buy a 'dry' camera (with an optical veiwfinder) and a WP case for it.

DarenN....

For anyone still looking I just spotted this ad on usedvictoria this morning...it's a Canon Powershot S1 and underwater housing for $285. Pretty good deal as that housing is worth $200 on it's own. Dan, DarrenM and myself have all used this setup. It's bulky but works great, and waterproof down to 130 feet.

I don't know who the seller is....just passing it on :p

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/4606518&category=digital-slr-cameras

Canon S1 IS

Hi Astoriadave,

Is this Canon S1 IS like and entry level DSLR? It looks like it could get one started. I've been looking over the Canon D10, Pentex W60 and W80 along with some others that fir the P&S waterproof group.

After reading alot of the posting here, I'm thinking that the P&S cameras would not get me to the photography level I hope to go.

For now I'm useing a P&S 7.1 MP El Cheap Oh from Walmart. I'm finding the Quality is not there. The pics look ok on screen but are not acceptable for commercial use. When looked at in full mode they are fuzzy.
I'm still learning about this camera and the more I work with it the more I'm thinking it's poor camera Quality.

Batteries, not all batteries are created the same. Your disposable batteries will not last near as long as rechargeable. After talking to a lab tech I now use AAA 900mAh in this camera and they last longer provided I keep the camera off until needed. Also when I'm putting the gear away I pull the a battery out so the camera dosen't drain them. I also carry a spare set of batteries just incase the camera or my sound system goes dead.

Cq,

I am not a camera expert. Someone else would give a better answer than I can. I like my Canon, but others here have progressed far beyond its capabilities with newer models.

Back