• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Camera Recommendations

The Fuji FinePix s7000 has a Sports function that solves Miklos' issue. I've only had it since Mother's Day but so far so good. I've been able to get some great shots of my son playing frisbee and such where I needed to stop the action without necessarily wanting to use a flash to do that.

By the way I've had really good luck with the Otter Box and Pelican brands of waterproof camera carry cases. I'm a lot of a klutz so I've personally tested both products numerous times.

Wild-Child said:
By the way I've had really good luck with the Otter Box and Pelican brands of waterproof camera carry cases. I'm a lot of a klutz so I've personally tested both products numerous times.
Do they make boxes that allow you to operate the camera while inside?

Wild-Child said:

I agree I keep mine in an otter box, and it works great. In fact it went for a swim yesterday... no leaks :lol:

Steve_Fairbairn said:
Wild-Child said:
Do they make boxes that allow you to operate the camera while inside?

No

Darren_McQuitty said:
Wild-Child said:

I agree I keep mine in an otter box, and it works great. In fact it went for a swim yesterday... no leaks :lol:
As long as its in the box with the lid sealed when you capsize. That was the reason I went for the Ewa bag. When you have the camera out of the box and taking pictures is when you are most unstable and prone to capsize.

Steve_Fairbairn said:
Darren_McQuitty said:
Wild-Child said:

As long as its in the box with the lid sealed when you capsize. That was the reason I went for the Ewa bag. When you have the camera out of the box and taking pictures is when you are most unstable and prone to capsize.

I know I know. I'm saving my pennies.

Steve_Fairbairn said:
Tell me about it -- does anyone want a good deal on a nice shiny S1 IS that didn't get put back in the box before the capsize? :wink: :oops:

I have a beautiful Nikon that went for a big swim - however it was stored in a ziploc (that failed me) and since then I've used a case - I'm interested in the durability of the cases which allow you to take photos when the camera is stored inside it.

Dan: Are you taking your camera bag over to Victoria. I have Digital SLR I would like to start using. I have a box but it offers no protection when the odd wave splashes the kayak.

I currently use my old digital a Sony 707 and take my chances. I have an underwater housing for it but it is too bulky for kayak.

Some underwater pics using the old 707 can be found at

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/gallery/Caper

for anyone interested in underwater life.

tim_in_bc said:
Sorry Dan, I thought it was you. Have you bought a replacement yet? If so what model did you decide on?
I'm saving my pennies to buy the new Canon S2 IS. For the time being, I've got a Canon A60 that I'm using.

And yes, I agree with Darren, your underwater photos are terrific. Where'd you take them?

What is this?
nudi_2.jpg

Awesome pictures 8)

I like nudibranchs, I think they're one of the many neat things to see underwater around here, and there are so many varieties.

I think all the pictures I have on the site currently are pics I took around the island. Some at Race Rocks, some at Port Hardy and some around Victoria. Lots of color in our waters when you shine a light or strobe on them.

I remain convinced that the Pentax water resistant cameras are the way to go for a sea kayaker's camera. My Optio 33WR is working well after a few years having been from the tropical rainforest to Galapagos beaches and has been wet many a time on and around the Island. It has since been superceded by two models which are both even better. These Pentax digitals are all small enough to fit into a PFD pocket.
I have also use a Canon A60/A70 in a housing which works well but is much bulkier.

Mike_Jackson said:
I remain convinced that the Pentax water resistant cameras are the way to go for a sea kayaker's camera. My Optio 33WR is working well after a few years having been from the tropical rainforest to Galapagos beaches and has been wet many a time on and around the Island. It has since been superceded by two models which are both even better. These Pentax digitals are all small enough to fit into a PFD pocket.
I have also use a Canon A60/A70 in a housing which works well but is much bulkier.
I'm pretty happy with my Optio 43WR. Like you said, it fits perfectly in the pocket of my PFD and is pretty much always ready to go on a moments notice.

Back