Camping at Widgeon Creek

Doug

Paddler
Hi,
I've checked out the Paddling Locations trip/gallery, along with some posts on this forum, and Widgeon looks like a really nice trip. I'm just wondering how crowded or difficult it is to get a camping spot on a summer weekend. Should a guy try to get there on a Thursday in order to get a spot? I'm thinking about taking my family there and if the weather is good it looks like a great first paddle/camp trip. This would be canoe with 2 kids 1 adult and 1 kayak.

cheers
Doug

Doug

Paddler
BTW, a bit off-topic but are we now GMT -7hrs until next fall? For the life of me, I don't ever recall have a setting other than GMT -8hrs on any forum board but I keep seeing -7hrs everywhere this year. Maybe I just never noticed before...

jgunther

Paddler
camping

Was at Widgeon last weekend and there were already 3 sets of campers there. In the summer it gets busy. I think if you got there Friday morning you should find a spot either at the campsite or the sand bars along the way if the water isn't to high.

lomcevak

Paddler
Yeah, Widgeon can get VERY busy. I only go in the off season. Not to say that you WON'T find camping otherwise, but you the entire beach can get packed with canoes, etc., especially on the weekends.

And, yes, we are GMT-7. It is likely you didn't notice.

Doug

Paddler
What if we went there on a Thursday, before the weekend started? Are the other campers typically rowdy beer drinkers, or more of the quieter family types or??

thanks

btw, I think the difference is that some other message boards keep the UTC -8hrs and then have an extra toggle for DST.

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
We adjust the time for daylight savings.

You could get noisy or quiet campmates at Widgeon Creek. I've had both as well as everything in between. Peak summer times definitely increase the chances of noise -- take it for what it is and it's easier to deal with. If you're looking for a quiet setting you don't have a lot of options that are that close.

rider

Paddler
Be prepared to share the campsite with groups of drunk and noisy 20-somethings. The beauty of easy access. :roll: But you may get lucky.

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
Yeah, Widgeon Creek makes a better (actually, a great) day trip.

If you're comfortable paddlers, the next best site where you can "most of the time" get some decent neighbours is Twin Islands. Not a long paddle from Deep Cove, and imho, a much better camping experience although in the summer months you can get a few hooligans. Go there outside of July and August and it's usually pretty empty. My kids and I have camped on Twin Islands many times over the years and most of those time we had the island to ourselves. Take fresh water with you.

But do get out to Widgeon for a paddle -- it's a fantastic place to spend a quiet day.