Can a tarp be re-waterproofed?

Mowog73

Paddler
A couple weekends ago my wife and I were out on our first backcountry adventure of the season and I discovered that my 20+ yr old Serratus guide tarp isn't as waterproof as it once was. The waterproof coating on the underside of the tarp is 'sticker' than I remember it being. Is it possible to re-waterproof a tarp? What product would be recommended?

Last edited:

AM

Paddler
This guy says that a sticky fly or tarp can be mitigated and he gives some suggestions:

Those old Serratus tarps were workhorses. I've got three that are likely the same vintage as yours and they are just starting to feel tacky. I get drops here and there, but they probably have a few years left in them.

My MEC Supertarp is newer (maybe 10 years old) but already it is tackier than the Serratus tarps. I think that is likely because it is so huge that it is hard to store loosely folded.

If you are looking for a replacement, I have several DD Hammocks 3x3 tarps that I love:

Cheers,
Andrew

Mowog73

Paddler
Thanks Andrew for that link, that's great information. I'm going to give the waterproof suggestion a try on the Serratus trap, give it a new lease on life.

Mark