Canon A710 IS and other stuff we really need

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
Astoriadave said:
Those are terrific shots. You like the camera, yes?
Yes, my first impressions are quite good. The photos are very sharp and the contrast is quite good. It's nice that the basic layout is very similar to my S2 IS. It's obviously much smaller than the S2, which is a definite plus, although it will grow once the waterproof housing arrives! After having 12x optical zoom to play with on the S2, I really notice the limitations of the 6x optical on the A710, but the higher resolution (7.2 megapixels on the A710 versus 5.0 on the S2) allows you to crop the photos tighter which adds a certain amount of 'zoom' capabilities. Overall it's quite nice, and has many of the same features of the S2 (including manual controls).

And, believe it or not, I did keep the buoy. 8O

Astoriadave

Paddler
Mark_Schilling said:
Yes, my first impressions are quite good. The photos are very sharp and the contrast is quite good. It's nice that the basic layout is very similar to my S2 IS. It's obviously much smaller than the S2, which is a definite plus, although it will grow once the waterproof housing arrives! After having 12x optical zoom to play with on the S2, I really notice the limitations of the 6x optical on the A710, but the higher resolution (7.2 megapixels on the A710 versus 5.0 on the S2) allows you to crop the photos tighter which adds a certain amount of 'zoom' capabilities. Overall it's quite nice, and has many of the same features of the S2 (including manual controls).
Hey, Mark, maybe this bit of info should be moved over to that old thread on cameras ... active a year ago or more.

I love my S1IS, but 7 MPx, and smaller size might seduce me, for sure. I rarely need 12X zoom, anyway. IS is the only way to fly for photos taken from a sea kayak cockpit, I think.

DarenN

Paddler
i'll still keep the S3 IS but it doesn't look like Canon is ever going to bring out a wet case for it so i need another camera that i will feel comfortable with when i'm on the water.

westcoastwill

Paddler
I was thinking to buy a waterproof digital camera fro the upcomming trip, but decided for a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 in black with the otional underwaterhousing.

A nice little camera with an outstanding 28 - 280 mm Leica zoom lens.

will order the thing next week and post a report and photos later,

servus

Willi

DarenN

Paddler
just a heads-up for everyone that still lives a cave, like me. 8)

the software with the W30 doesn't work with windows 98. now i have to upgrade. :cry:

DarenN

Paddler
ok. i made arrangements to upgrade my 'puter. but in the meantime, i figured out how to use the card reader that's built in on my all-in-one printer.

gonna try and get out for paddle and crab fishing tomorrow. will take some pics and post the results.

if anyone wants to join me i'll be paddling out of Barnett Marine Park before nine.

Daren..........

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
I picked up a Canon S3 IS today at Futureshop for $349 -- I was going to wait for the S5 but at this price, the S3 was too good a deal to pass up.

Now I've got to get some accessories...

Kasey

Paddler
You guys!! 8O You must all be Geminis! I'm a Cancerian...I could very well be happy with my current camera (FZ30) and my current boat and paddle for life! :roll: