• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Canon Camera Hacks: User-Created Firmware

jbj_bc_ca

Paddler
From older posts, I think there are quite a few people on here with Canon digital cameras. I came across an article today about some user-created, open source firmware for Canon cameras that add new features, such as RAW format, faster shutter speeds, games, customizable OSD, and more. I haven't tried the firmware yet, but thought I'd post a couple links here:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Supercharge ... K_Firmware

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

If anyone has tried this yet, I'd be interested in feedback.

Hmmm... I'm usually a bit hesitant about this stuff but perhaps it's worth a shot! I like the idea of an intervalometer; my S2 has that feature but it's one thing I really miss on the A710IS.

If I give this a shot, I'll report back with my conclusions.

I've messed around quickly with the A710 hack, and it seems to work well. I've installed a script that works with the hack that incorporates an intervalometer, and it works well without any problems that I've been able to find so far. All other regular functions of the camera seem to work as before. Basically the 'hack' is accessed through the ALT function of the camera, once you have the firmware installed on the SD card.

Since the hack is installed only on the SD card and not permanently on the camera, you have to be able to write to the SD card independently. This means you have to use a card reader to copy a few files to the card, then put the card back in the camera. I've been using an 8GB SDHC card in the A710 lately, but I don't have an SDHC card reader so I can't install the 'hack' on that SD card. And, for some reason, I can't seem to get my 2GB card going with it, so I'm limited to using a 1GB card.

I'm heading out for some paddling in the surf and swell out of Tofino this weekend, so I'll play with it out there and see how it turns out. If it works well, I'll pick up a cheap SDHC reader and see if I can get the 8GB card going with an intervalometer. What fun! 8)

Thanks for the link - this could be just what I've been looking for!

In terms of SDHC card readers, I'm fond of this pocket reader from IOGear:

159_2763159_large_1.jpg

because it's cheap ($15 @ London Drugs) and very portable. It plugs into a USB port, so rather than taking the camera's cable along, you only need to take this and you can copy photos off your memory card to any PC.

It's the customizable intervalometer feature that most interested me. I hope it resulted in some interesting shots for you Mark. I still haven't got around to trying it - maybe this week.

Very good links, although there doesn't seem to be much available for my Canon 40D, it seems restricted to point and shoot cameras.

Sitting at Long Beach getting the boats ready on Saturday amid 15 kts of driving, pelting rain, I realized that the 'alternate' button on the A710 is the only button that cannot be accessed from outside the waterproof housing (it's only real use as Canon intended is to transfer files from the camera when connected to a computer - so there wouldn't normally be a need to access it from the housing). This is the button that you'd need to press to initiate the intervalometer setting. And, I didn't want to open the housing as it would be flooded with rainwater in no time at all.

The other problem was that the shore break was quite fierce, and the RAM suction-cup mount was no match for the power of the waves hitting the housing. So, the camera kept flying off the deck of the boats (both the Explorer and Tern 14). Tha batteries also died shortly after we started. End result - not many photos. :cry:

So, we didn't try out the intervalometer. But I have found a way to get it going with the 8GB card, so I'll do some other shots with it later and test it all out.

Back