• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Cart Wheels, Air Filled or Solid?

Rodnak Kayak

Paddler
Been using the carts a bit more this season...
We have a nice set of Inflatable tire sets, got 'em at MEC, super lite and work great. I do worry about a flat though, or a complete blowout. I have taken them over some fairly rough terrain, that's why I prefer the inflatables. I even carry a spare bike pump. I assume solid tires are heavier, but more reliable and "faster" on the ferry tarmac. As we probably do most of our mileage on pavement, I have been contemplating if the solid tires do better, I assume they are tough to push/pull in any sand or pebble beach areas. So lets hear, hot air or cold hard solid rubber?
:popcorn:

Wheeleez markets a solid "Tuff Tire" which is foam filled and rolls fine on sand etc. It also has maintenance free plastic bushings which are appropriate for a marine environment.

Anybody have any feedback on kayak carts? Have read some reviews online. We're looking at going in to Myrtle lake with them. Also be nice for Bowron. I was looking at the foam filled tire one. I have a large canoe also, so it should fit both. Thanks!

The wheels on my inflatable Nimbus cart are difficult to fill because there is very little room between the valve and the wheel hub. I can't get a portable bike pump or a floor bike pump to fit.

Otherwise it's a good cart because it breaks down nicely; but they aren't made any longer.

I've used Paddleboy HEAVY LIFTER for about seven years. This model comes with stainless steel tubing and about 8" inflatable tires. The tires never needed to be re-inflated and the frame is super strong. Highly recommended unit for heavy use. I do not see the possibility of getting a flat tire, as the rubber is really heavy.

I like using it in off-centre location, as on this picture, for tight corners manoeuvrability.

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 1,363
I used ones with inflatable ties for a while. Hard to put air in as the valve stem is not long enough, and they did leak. I would use the under low pressure, which worked fine except over time it caused the tire to get destroyed. Retrofitted that unit to use the Wheeleez tuff tire foam filled ones. No probelms with that.

I have one wheel that is foam and the other is air. Really. Had a tire blow-out on a trip and replaced it with a foam filled tire from MEC.

Can't really say which I prefer. They both seem to work well, although it's unlikely that I'll blow the foam one so I guess it's my preference. Maybe.

We just purchased a couple of sets of Swagman's from OR and I tried them out yesterday at Cadboro Bay. After hauling our kays (empty and loaded) a few times at this location it was a pleasure to roll my fully loaded yak to the waters edge and back. The Swagman wheels also have a very short valve stem (probably made my the same manufacturer in China) :roll: but I used my hobby air compressor (carefully) to fill them and the air line wand fit easily.

No more back strain! :clap:

http://www.slime.com/shop/tire-sealant/

The above product works great in ATV tires, we had a old quad with worn out tires and the cactus in southern alberta would puncture the tires, you could see where the leaks started and were sealed with the green slime. You would still need a pump in case of too much air loss though.

I've got the same as GregN , love them. One point that comes to mind is the air filled ones float ( if you need to store them on deck this matters)
Solid tires wouldn't do much use in the sand.

I believe IanC has solid tires on his cart if memory serves me right. They seemed to work well getting on and of the ferries and storing them looked to be a breeze as they are a fraction of the size of the air tires.

My 2 cents, buy both types and use the one that fits your need for the trip at hand.

Back