• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Coastal Bears and Wolves

wanderlust

Hello all! I am currently planning my summer expedition. Since I live in Kitimat- encounters with black bears (and the occasional grizz) is nothing new to me. I am quite comfortable with my bear-aware skills.

But once i get into the inside and (mostly) outside passages, i am worried that the human habituated bears will turn into man eating carnivorous blood thirsty machines. I am mostly worried about Griz and Wolves. (I'd wrestle a black bear :cool: )

Has anyone noticed a difference between the coastal inland bears in comparison with the remote-lived, pure wild bears and wolves that roam the beaches of our lightly traveled coast? Is there any EXTRA precautions one should take? Any scary close encounters?

cheers!

Kitimat Dave

I have noticed on beach walks (North Coast trail, Nootka trail, West Coast trail) and heavily used campsites that bears that have had a number of encounters don't make much fuss about people. On the trails mentioned Black Bears can be found browsing the detrious washed up on the beach. It is simply a matter of making them aware of your presence and then skirting around them with as much distance as possible.

Normally the first notice of black bears being present is the sound of them running up a tree as soon as they become aware of your presence.

I've only had one bad black bear encounter. Garden Point on Nootka I. It knew about kayaks and food. It wasn't particularly agressive to me. It was just determined to get my food and I had better not get in the way thankyou.

There isn't an established grizzly population of Vancouver Island though occasionally one will swim over from the mainland.

So normal provisions to try and store attractions in trees or in storage lockers when available. I've heard two stories of bears breaking up kayaks but still feel its better to store food in a kayak if there is nothing else practical.

Biggest wildlife problem has been mice, racoons, and minks. (and drunken louts though thats not wildlife in the strictest sense.)

These wild wolves would be located where?? I'd assume all wildlife that doesn't run away is habituated. Seeing them in your tent is always a dead giveaway too... (I was a treeplanter back in the dark ages...)

Back