Cockpit padding

Oldpro

Paddler
If I'm to have some kind of chance to learn to roll my beloved 17' Arctic Tern, I'll need to add hip padding to the boat (adding padding to my hips is NOT an option). I'd like to see how other builders have addressed this problem; adding padding to the hip braces while keeping the standard Pygmy backband free to swivel up and down through a limited range. :?

DarenN

Paddler
take a look at the Redfish seats. Joe Greenley would build one for you without the backrest. hip pads are built into the seat base. the seats are carved to fit the particular boat.

DarenN..........

Astoriadave

Paddler
Oldpro, IMHO, those Pygmy backbands are backkillers; there are several aftermarket backbands out; Ive had good luck with a couple brands.

As to seat, consider this: http://www.kayakfit.com/ A custom minicell seat is heaven to sit on, and you can make it so you are locked in there when you flex your thighs, and free if you relax.

Bob_c

Paddler
Oldpro said:
If I'm to have some kind of chance to learn to roll my beloved 17' Arctic Tern, I'll need to add hip padding to the boat (adding padding to my hips is NOT an option). I'd like to see how other builders have addressed this problem; adding padding to the hip braces while keeping the standard Pygmy backband free to swivel up and down through a limited range. :?
I find that getting the knees, thighs firmed in more important than the hips.
Leaving the hips a little free will enable you to rotate on your forward stroke better.

Oldpro

Paddler
Thanks for the input everyone; I think I now have a workable solution. I've carved my own seat from minicell foam which while not a thing of beauty, fits pretty well and is comfortable. I want to continue to use the Pygmy backband which I use with their cover and their inflatable cushion to alleviate lower back pain. I can modify the attachment to fit outboard of the hip braces and retain the swivelling feature and glue minicell pads inboard.

Once done, I'll be better able to roll AND avoid the dreaded "Dead Butt" syndrome. :D :lol:

Oldpro