coffee junkies

DarenN

Paddler
i don't imagine that i'm the only one that likes a good cup of coffee in the morning. i thought i would share with my fellow coffee junkies.

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?M ... CUBB9X0R89

i've had one of these presses for quite a while now. it works great, cleans easily, stays hot longer than any other cup i've ever used, and makes a great cup of coffee.

DarenN......

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
I'm not much for coffee (please don't label me a freak just yet!) but I'm all for trying new teas! Wandering around the garden last week I had it suggested to me that I try dehydrating some rhubarb, to experiment with making tea out of it. :idea:

I chopped the 5 biggest stalks I could find and dehydrated them down to about the volume of a film canister. 8O :!: Chuck 'em in the blender, and I used about 1/4 teaspoon in a litre of boiling water. The result was quite tasty - I'll be experimenting more with home-made teas! :)

Steve_Fairbairn

Paddler
I use the same one GordB has. I like the fact that it is a thermal mug, as well. The trick with a coffee press is to grind your beans coarser and use a bit more coffee than you would for filter coffee.

Mark, you can use a coffee press for making tea. I have a coffee grinder and a small coffee press at work that I use instead of drinking office swill. I had to stop leaving the coffee press in the coffee room because so many people were using it to make tea and not cleaning it out. We have a huge asian population in our office and most of them drink various types of loose tea.

Batstar

Paddler
Steve_Fairbairn said:
We have a huge asian population in our office and most of them drink various types of loose tea.
I highly recommend Genmaicha. It has a pleasant flavor with a hint of roasted rice.

Although I don’t consider myself a caffeine junkie, nothing beats a steaming cup of java in the morning. For excursions, we’ve had good results with our GSI coffee press.

Robert_Meier

Paddler
DarenN said:
i don't imagine that i'm the only one that likes a good cup of coffee in the morning. i thought i would share with my fellow coffee junkies.

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?M ... CUBB9X0R89

i've had one of these presses for quite a while now. it works great, cleans easily, stays hot longer than any other cup i've ever used, and makes a great cup of coffee.

DarenN......
That's cool Daren. Where in Canada can you get that specific one?

DarenN

Paddler
Where in Canada can you get that specific one?
Robert, i didn't find that particular version in Canada when i looked for it. the closest i could find is the same but for the lack of the sleeve.

i got mine in Point Roberts, Wa. at the Shell station. they also do in house coffee roasting there. the Stormcaser #8 is an excellent dark brew.

DarenN.....

DarenN

Paddler
RobertM said:
Do you know if other Shell gas stations sell them in the US?
i highly doubt it, Robert. the PR Shell is a very special kind of operation. the only thing "Shell" about it is the fuel pumps. the rest is like a tourist trap speciality store. my ex-wife runs the joint for the absentee owners.

DarenN.....

Astoriadave

Paddler
DarenN said:
my ex-wife runs the joint for the absentee owners. DarenN.....
I had an owner like that one time -- never amounted to much at all. But, my ex - she is actually quite a nice person. She kayaks with my fiance and me, plus the kid and his North Van sweetie. Weird, these blended families, no!? :roll:

DarenN

Paddler
Astoriadave said:
DarenN said:
my ex-wife runs the joint for the absentee owners. DarenN.....
I had an owner like that one time -- never amounted to much at all. But, my ex - she is actually quite a nice person. She kayaks with my fiance and me, plus the kid and his North Van sweetie. Weird, these blended families, no!? :roll:
Weird hardly covers it.

at first i wasn't going to respond to this, Dave, but after an hour or so of thinking about it , i decided to after all.
tomorrow would have been my third anniversary.

as close as we live and as close as Canadian and American cultures are, there are still some differences that can not be overcome. at least there was for us.

we met on the internet because of the kayaks that i had built. she imigrated to Canada but found that she could not live in Canada. "we" didn't fit her expectations, but it was "our" fault for 'not wanting her'.

i'm not whining. if anything, this is a warning to others who might think they have found "the one". i was 43 before i was ever married. i shoulda stayed single.

DarenN........

Astoriadave

Paddler
DarenN said:
we met on the internet because of the kayaks that i had built. she imigrated to Canada but found that she could not live in Canada. "we" didn't fit her expectations, but it was "our" fault for 'not wanting her'.
Man, does that suck. Better luck next time.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
hey, it worked for a while. and next time maybe the while will be longer.

but it is too bad abt the anniversary - but you feeling bad is a measure of your capacity to feel and maybe do better sometime in the future.

Robert_Meier

Paddler
That looks interesting! Looking forward to a review once Dave's tried it out. Because of the small size it looks like a cool item to take on kayaking trips.

GordB

Paddler
DarrenM said:
This stuff looks interesting.
https://www.javajuiceextract.com/index.html

I think Dave B is trying to get some samples shipped to him, as it appears to only be available in the States.
Has anyone ever tried it?
I've not tried this, but I have tried something similar.
CAMP something or other. I used to get it when I lived in Newfoundland and was going fishing in the winter. I'd heat up some water, toss a few spoons full of the liquid into heated water, stir and enjoy.

Note that it is convienient, but not as good as a freshly made cup.

Gord

andreas

Paddler
great ,more packaging waste :roll: what about instant coffee? i think it would be lighter anyway and comes in bigger containers (less waste).

when we go camping we put our sugar, coffee,powdered milk etc in reusable zip locks. we also use the mec coffeepress.

cheers
andreas

DarenN

Paddler
RobertM said:
Daren,

When you use that travel press mug, does the end not taste kinda gross? Or not?

Thanks
Robert
No Robert, i don't find it so. but then i drink my coffee so strong you could stand a spoon up in it.

Astoriadave

Paddler
Folks we have kayak-camped with love those presses, and find them very convenient -- you get to make and monitor your own cup(s). Becky and I are real coffee snobs, and want ours fresh from passing through the beans without excessive steeping, so we take along a small Thermos to keep the stuff pretty tasty throughout the breakfast cycle.

I survived various instant versions in my young and foolish days. I'm old and fussy now, and live in a small coastal town that has two healthy roasting operations ... I'm spoiled by the access to freshly roasted stuff!

I love my coffee!