Cool Gear Here

WCoaster

Paddler
Thought I would create a place just to throw up interesting things that we may come across.

I like this

Only for Magellan you say :!:

Steve_Fairbairn

Paddler
WCoaster said:
Thought I would create a place just to throw up interesting things that we may come across.

I like this

Only for Magellan you say :!:
Very cool. Too bad it only works with the soon to be discontinued SporTraks. I like the low profile of the mount compared to the suction cup Ram Mount I use for my Meriplat.

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
That is a cool idea. I use a RAM mount for my SportTrak Map (or occasionally my Vista or 76S) much like Steve does, and find it's just perfect. I seem to push my paddle farther away from me (over the deck) in tougher weather or if I'm paddling hard, so I like to keep the GPS well away from me so I don't hit it. I'm sure the design of the kayak is different, but if mine were 'built in' where that one is I'd hit it constantly.

WCoaster

Paddler
I think it would also get in the way of or at least eat up some of the under deck strage tray space.

It does look cool though. In a Bond sort of way.

I wonder if the manufacturer would consider adding to there line? I guess all those odd GPS toting kayakers will have to send inquiries and create the demand. :idea:

WCoaster

Paddler
Found this sight today.

It is a subject near to my heart as those of you who know me, or watched Dan and I pile the gear and our mass into his double for a weekend up Indian Arm, can attest. 8O

PS where is the Indian Arm Gallery by the way :?: I have a lot of pics if you would like some.

Dave_Barrie

Paddler
Pretty good design, now why the heck didn't I think of that. Now I just need models for the Magellan Meridian line and a Garmin GPS Map76S and I'm all set :lol:

Mike_Jackson

Paddler
I picked up the GPS housing for the Etrex today at Vancouver Island Canoe and Kayak. It is a great little unit. I look forward to taking it out tomorrow. Fits perfectly and leaves access to all the buttons.

Mike_Jackson

Paddler
CuriousGeorge said:
Cool - mind if I ask what you paid for it?
I paid 26.50 plus taxes - seems like a lot for a hunk of foam and bungies, but it is great. I used it for a 20 km paddle today and it did a great job. The buttons are easy to access and the GPS is held at a good angle. It fits like a glove. I have a hunch that if I tried to make one myself, I would take at least an hour to make it and then it would not fit right. When tied in as shown on the web page, the unit is secure.
This setup works particularly well for the Etrex since the Etrex is so small. Larger GPS units might be too tall.
Cheers