• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Current Designs Solstice ST rudder cable replacement

That's an interesting problem, but don't you think that a manufacturer would think the simple H shape [without channel] would be a brilliant way to align both wobbly halves of the kayak when trying to align in-or-out when assembling . . .
That was the thought, I guess.

'Quick and cheap assembly method used' isn't something I look for when buying a kayak!
:)
I was told that Eddyline -who used H-channel a lot - were known as 'Eddyleak kayak' for years.

I wouldn't buy an H-channel kayak.

I was recently helping a buddy who had the same problems mentioned above with threading a new rudder cable through his old CD boat - it kept hanging up just behind the cockpit. In the end he had to use a Dremel to grind out access to the snag, then glass over the access hole.

Swatts - thanks for posting this issue and detailing your ultimate fix. Have an 02 Sostice GTS with the same problem on the starboard side. Dremeled out a rectangular piece right behind the seat, exposed the channel, and pulled out about 8 inches of the old rusty cable. Sadly there is one piece remaining and the blockage is behind the seat's side panel -- no way to get at it unless I go from the outside. Guess I will have to run some tubing along the side to get her back in the water with a working rudder. Too bad ...

Hi! So glad this thread has been helpful to you. Such a great community. I had two separate pieces as well and was able to take a thin but stiff wire and make a small loop on the end to snag the second strand. I inserted the wire, loop first, into the interior slot that was cut out and by some small miracle was able to grab it and pull it through. Perhaps you could give it a try before having to cut the outside.

Hi! So glad this thread has been helpful to you. Such a great community. I had two separate pieces as well and was able to take a thin but stiff wire and make a small loop on the end to snag the second strand. I inserted the wire, loop first, into the interior slot that was cut out and by some small miracle was able to grab it and pull it through. Perhaps you could give it a try before having to cut the outside.
I wish going from the outside was an option, but it really isn't. Will try the thin wire with a loop -- and if that doesn't work, my only other option is to run some plastic tubing down the side.

Back