• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Cypress Island status requested

cougarmeat

Paddler
One of our paddling group (of three) would prefer to see sea critters that ducks. So we may pivot from the Columbia River area to crossing from Washington County Park in Anacortes to Cypress Island.

It seems facility access is changing every day. I know there was a post a while back about Cypress but can someone comment on recent access to campsites/bathrooms/water at both the county park and on Cypress. For example, I recall that water was turned off on Sucia and some, but not all, bathrooms were open.

I’ve stopped at Pelican Beach once in the past and recall a sheltered area (for meals). I remember sites up on a bluff at the southern end of Cypress. I’ll have two hammocks with tent backup. Steve will be in a tent, Joy and I may be in tents or hammocks - depending upon the trees.

I keep thinking I need to check the ferry schedule and when the “after summer” fee change occurs - a habit from mostly going to Orcas of the San Juan island. I’ll still have a ferry schedule so we can keep “social distancing” from them.

DNR’s website says Cypress Head and Pelican Beach are open for camping. Neither site has water even during normal, non-pandemic conditions. I recommend you bring your own toilet paper and arrive early in the afternoon, as both sites are crowded during summer.

Alex

I was at Cypress over 4rth of July weekend. The desirable bluff sites on Cypress Head were full by noon on July 3rd. There were tent spots on the more exposed beach area. We paddled to Pelican Beach the next day and there were 2 tent spots open.

There is no water on Cypress. Bathrooms were clean and stocked with toilet paper.

WA Park in Anacortes also has open bathrooms and latrines.

Interestingly, I paddled to James Island from Spencer Spit State Park on Lopez Island 2 weeks ago, and was surprised how many camping spots were empty.

Jane

2A65A34F-1417-4D88-AAFA-5EE09B278EDD.jpeg

Back