• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Deception Pass camping in May 22nd.

Well I had hoped to make it down for this... but my new passport just arrived, leaving me very little time to plan.
Oh well another time.

waverider said:
Well I had hoped to make it down for this... but my new passport just arrived, leaving me very little time to plan.
Oh well another time.

Right, pack passport.

thanks! :)

OK, thanks for the info on the B-Bay campground, Sushiy! If you could PM me with your phone #, I'll give you a call about the camping scene there.

I'll keep an eye out for you on Thursday afternoon, Mark. My vehicle is a green Subaru hatchback; purple-ish over white Coaster on top.

Looks like there might be a storm hitting the WA coast (http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/) tomorrow night. Could be interesting conditions on Thursday!

A few of us from South Sound Area Kayakers (SSAK) will be at DP on Saturday as well. You didn't expect to have it all to yourselves did you? I don't know how many of us will show up. Probably between 8 and 12. Depends on weather and how many are tuckered out from camping and paddling last weekend on the Yakima River. See you there.

Ted Henry

Ted :D :D :D , it's me Setsuko.
I will see you there! I told Cathy and Sachiko that I will be hunging around with WCPers, but can I crash into SSAK too?. It will be fun!! Beside, I have to let Sachiko try my Qaanaaq too.

Metakrome said:
A few of us from South Sound Area Kayakers (SSAK) will be at DP on Saturday as well. You didn't expect to have it all to yourselves did you? I don't know how many of us will show up. Probably between 8 and 12. Depends on weather and how many are tuckered out from camping and paddling last weekend on the Yakima River. See you there.

Ted Henry

Great! The more the merrier. It will be great to meet some new faces. :)

I got bit by the Tide Race bug. Took delivery of a new XPlore-s in yellow over white. Maiden paddle was last night on Lake Sammamish.

Also should I paddle as SSAK or WCP? Either way, I'm going to have fun. See ya'll on Saturday.

Roy, it will be fun to see you when you gets the first scratch on your TideRace :p
But Ice Kapp is better suited for DP, don't you think so? Oh well, you can bring both of them.

sushiy said:
Wondering if there is any interest for Deception Pass camping in May, 22nd ( saturday, sunday).

There are wide variety of paddling opportunity there, from beginners to advanced.

Pass is running max ebb @6knots 2:23pm on Satuday, max ebb @6.3 knots 3:20pm.

May will be good time to be there before all the summer campers take all those camping spots.

The interest was there.

Made it as far as the border lineup. I ran out of patience. In an hour I may have moved 1/4 mile.
I gave up and drove 20 minutes home and went back to bed.

For those who did not run out of patience, How was it?

....too bad you could not make it down here.
We launched early enough to hit the slack and the swell from west was just right to make those waves at "that spot".
played,...I was mostly trying to stay up though... in that waves till the current build up.

Weather was mostly sunny, no high wind till we went to tent.
Lots of lots of fun.
I can't wait to see those pictures, mark, and exploremike took.

I tried to squeeze as many people as possible into my little tiny kayak with tiny tiny ocean cockpit, trying to drown them, but everyone got out of it safely.
My throat sore from screaming a lot.

Next time Gord.

sushiy said:
I tried to squeeze as many people as possible into my little tiny kayak with tiny tiny ocean cockpit, trying to drown them, but everyone got out of it safely.

That would be one person at a time. There's no way more than one person at a time could fit in that little ocean cockpit at one time.

For me, riding those waves was more fun than peeling out into the on-coming current. Need more seat time in my Xplore-S so it doesn't feel so twitchy.

GordB said:
Made it as far as the border lineup. I ran out of patience. In an hour I may have moved 1/4 mile.
I gave up and drove 20 minutes home and went back to bed.

For those who did not run out of patience, How was it?

I posted my report here, others feel free to add to it! http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3940

Sorry to hear about the border line up! When were you trying to get through? I got through Peace arch in 45 minutes on Friday early evening (I think I got through at 5:30). I was expecting much worse due to the long weekend. I was impressed, though, with the new system of moving traffic in blocks to reduce idling. It seemed to work well.

Back