• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Deck gluing tape residue

Oldpro

Paddler
Yesterday afternoon I glued the deck to the hull of an Arctic Tern that's been in the works for some time. This morning I removed the fiberglass-strand strapping tape holding the two in alignment.

The tape pulled cleanly from the raw wood of the deck, but left an awful mess of fiberglass strands and stickum residue on the glassed hull.

I've never had this problem before; I could usually "roll off" the goo using my thumb. I've got 47 spots of ugly goo to remove.

Any recommendations?

Oldpro :( :? :oops:

AD as you are our resident chemist, the hot soapy water helps does it? I always reach for the actone, but am never completely happy with the amount of effort it takes. Very good to know.

I use a solvent known only as solvent #20, from industrial finishing products, brooklyn, ny, but probably only because it's around the shop and handy. The base is denatured alchohol, which will also work very well, and leave no residue. apply the alchohol abd wipe off the nubs with a cloth, then polish with a clean cloth.

I started the cleanup using hot water and dish detergent (Dave, when you advised soap, did you mean soap? Or is a detergent an acceptable substitute?). It took three hours of scrubbing with a Scotch scrubber and careful use of a single-edge razorblade (in a holder), finally I finished up with acetone.

Wow; did that stuff adhere!

And that's only the first side. Darn good thing it didn't grab to the raw wood of the deck the same way. Here's a shot of progress after an hour.

Oldpro

Glue residue

I forgot to mention; there is an "up" side to all this. I began working on this kit early last winter, and was using a "fast" epoxy.

After the scrubbing, I can guarantee there's absolutely NO chance of any amine blush remaining. :D

i have successfully used varsol (paint thinner) for removing lots of gummy tape residue including spray glue, masking tape, duct tape & fiberglass strand tape. Then wash all residue away - soapy first, rinse later.

i think the paint thinner is a little less evaporative than acetone, so stays a bit longer to dilute the glue and is more able then to be wiped off. In any case, it softens the adhesive so that it becomes more easily wiped away if further applications necessary.

Back