• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Delta 12s / 12 10 reviews

overthemoon

Paddler
Hi,
Does anyone have experience with the Delta 12s or the 12 10? I'm curious about how well they track and overall performance.
Thanks!

They track quite well for a relatively short boat. Delta designed them such that the waterline is fairly long, with quite steep entry and exit.

They're very popular with people who don't need a large kayak. They're light and easy to handle out of the water, track quite well while still being maneuverable. Quite well built too.
They're a bit on the slower side of things, which is part of why they class it as 'light touring'. It's a capable boat for day trips and overnights.

Regarding the difference between the 12s and 12.10, really is best to sit in them and see which fits better.

What kind of paddling do you envision yourself doing? If mostly day trips I'd say these would likely be a good choice.

everything that CPS said . . . but from my perspective the Delta 12-10 [and the other shorter Deltas, but 12-10 especially ] are a spectacular solution to packing a lot of desirable features into a very short, compact package, while minimizing quite a few of the ensuing compromises.

I credit Mark Hall - the unheralded original Delta designer - for coming up with this interesting approach where he wasn't afraid of going a little wider [25"] than the widest kayaks of the day, using a large block coefficient to pack volume into the other small dimensions, using short length to minimize thermo plastic stiffness shortcomings, . . .
and most especially , most especially DROPPING the cockpit rear down JUST for the cockpit region in order to maintain or achieve all of the cockpit paddler and paddle rest ergonomics that one would hope for in a much higher performance boat and popping that volume back up for the rear cargo region. And doing it all in a fairly aesthetic package.
From what I've seen, Mark was the first and did it the most completely right off the bat and all the rest were followers much later.

I could go on, but I haven't been in one, but would have no qualms with the 12-10 as a first boat because it could easily be used for multi-day trips while being a reasonable paddling kayak, while also allowing one to develop multiple self rescue approaches and all in that short, easily stored and handled package.

I could go on, but I haven't been in one, but would have no qualms with the 12-10 as a first boat because it could easily be used for multi-day trips while being a reasonable paddling kayak, while also allowing one to develop multiple self rescue approaches and all in that short, easily stored and handled package.
I think I paddled one of those years ago when with friends on Elk Lake. My wife and I were both in Romanys and the other couple both had 'short' Deltas. They were asking for pointers and I was talking a bit about edging (which I was just trying to learn/improve myself). They just 'didn't get it'. We took break and I suggested swapping boats...and the answer was clear - that wide Delta didn't want to budge from the level.
Certainly comforting for a novice, but perhaps not the best choice for a new paddler 'with ambitions' about skill development?
And, if paddling with a group (club paddles or with friends) few things are more demoralizing for a beginner than having trouble 'keeping up with the others'...so a slow boat just adds to the list of reasons (poor techinque, poor fitness, etc). As a beginner, I often couldn't 'keep up' but it couldn't be blamed on the boat... :)

Reactions: CPS
Like I said - I could go on - but a short, fat, long waterline boat cannot be expected to keep up a pushed pace . . . but if you were in reasonable shape there's no reason you couldn't keep up to any sightseeing group who is interested in the journey rather than the destination. When I first started getting out to places all the junk was crammed into a loaded 13' foot 'submarine' that I had no trouble keeping up with the major parts of groups.

As far as ergonomics are concerned, it's not fair to compare to slim kayaks but say with others that would try the same approach - and you have to also consider the waterline situations whether loaded or not - it's just impossible to cover all bases, it's all compromises but this boat allows possibilities.

I guess I'm more on side with what the boat allows for rather than what margins the paddler can't - but you are totally correct: a wide, high block coefficient boat is a tough one to roll or edge and a short, fat boat will be slower than typicals at speeds . . . but that's a given if that is what the desired parameters are: lots in a small package.

- but you are totally correct: a wide, high block coefficient boat is a tough one to roll or edge and a short, fat boat will be slower than typicals at speeds . . . but that's a given if that is what the desired parameters are: lots in a small package.
Yes, they can't all be Mariner Coasters!
:)

Mariner almost a foot longer, 2 inches narrower, raised ckpt characteristics, never liked hi bow volume: different beast altho interesting in that the max beam cross sections have similar characteristics. Same weight. And waterline length of the delta would be annoying [to me].

IMHO the shorter
Deltas are similar creatures to Wilderness Systems Tsunami series, very high stability at the cost of any edge responsiveness, stiff tracking at cost of maneuverability. Fast enough that a strong paddler in one of those should have little trouble keeping moderate group pace, but not something I would get if covering distance was the main goal. A sort of an instant gratification boat that will let most people paddle mild conditions with confidence with little investment in skill.

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with the Delta 12s or the 12 10? I'm curious about how well they track and overall performance.
Thanks!
Thank you to all who have replied, much appreciated!!
I am a novice and in only 8 trips max in my first kayak this last fall, I know I need a better one. The Delta 12.10 is appealing because of the weight (to load to car myself) and reasonable length to also manage on car and storage. I mostly will be doing day trips, try to learn new techniques; edging, self rescue but mostly pleasure. However, I do want to be able to"keep up" but the biggest issue I have is tracking. The question is should I get a kayak w/skeg or will the 12.10 (hull design) be a vast improvement over my Necky Manitou Sport (10'11'). I was out 4 days ago, wind picked up to 22km/h and I felt like a leaf in the wind at times. Yes I need to improve paddle technique but I feel I'm getting there.
If the 12.10 had a skeg, that would be a perfect boat for me.
Parameters are: 50lbs or less and can't break the bank. I've also looked at Eddyline Sitka Lt, very nice but $$.

Thanks for the suggestion jeffhan! Yes it looks good, weight (the ultralight version at 39lbs), length, hatches, no thigh brace though. Honestly I'm not sure I need a rudder, would prefer a skeg for assistance as needed. Hard to find a boat with my specs with a skeg. I haven't found too many reviews on the Halo sr-130. Do you or does anyone have experience with this boat or Boreal overall?

I haven't found too many reviews on the Halo sr-130. Do you or does anyone have experience with this boat or Boreal overall?
As I understand, the boat was originally a Seaward product and then Boreal bought the molds when Seaward got out of making thermoformed boats altogether. I have looked at them but haven't paddled one. My impression is that it's even more recreational than the little Delta...also i will hazard a guess that Deltas are tougher.

Yes, still a Seaward design. As far as recreational or toughness, it depends on who you talk to as I am hearing opposing views. Anyways I ended going with the Boreal and waiting for a good day to take it out.
Thanks everyone for your input, it's much appreciated!

Back