Desolation Sound...Lewis Channel.

geri

Paddler
I am planning to spend two weeks in Desolation Sd. in July and am looking for information on Lewis Channel. I have the tide tables for Redonda Bay, and have easily been able to find information regarding other areas in the Sound, but can find little on Lewis Channel. Because it is quite narrow, would like to be more prepared for it than I am now. Any information would be appreciated. I plan to paddle from Connis Point - Teakerne Arm direction. Thanks...

ken_vandeburgt

Paddler
Try sailing directions volume one. Its not clear but I think this is the section that applies;

section 252 (Desolation Sound) Because this is the region where the flood stream from Queen Charlotte Sound via Johnstone Strait meets that from Juna de Fuca Strait via the Strait of Georgia, the tidal streams are inconsistent and weak, seldom exceeding 2 knots.[sic] The boundary between the flood streams from north and south can be abreast Squirrel Cove in settled weather or as far north as the north entrance Lewis Channel in sustained SE winds. - Sailing Directions Volume 1.
That is consistent with my experience of it; weak currents. There is lots of marine traffic. A good campsite is found at an old log sort about halfway along the channel on Redonda.

geri

Paddler
Thanks, Ken...with the tide tables and your reply I feel better about the channel. I'm looking forward to July, and will remember to watch out for the campsite you mentioned. Thanks again.

SheilaP

Paddler
Hey Geri,

I have been through that channel a few times. Ken's information is bang on. As you paddle the channel you can actually watch for the spot where the tide begins to ebb north instead of south. It can be an actual line across the channel! (A small ripple, nothing concerning.) I pay attention to the winds in Johnstone Strait because they can funnel through on a strong NW wind - to a lesser effect. Kimatas' book has some campsites in his book that are good for a small group.

The channel can be done in a day from the Martin Islands to Rendevous Islands - I don't know which way you are planning to go. It is less busy on the West side of the channel, so if it is busy, you could consider crossing over.

Refuge Cove is in that channel too: good for ice, ice cream and alcohol. :mrgreen: Oh yes, and food.

Sheila

geri

Paddler
Thanks Sheila for the suggestions. I'm planning to go up Homfrey Channel, around and down Lewis Channel to the Marine Park and your information has been helpful. I'll pay attention to the winds, and watch for the tide change as you mentioned. I won't be able to pass by Refuge Cove without stopping in for something. It sounds like a terrific paddle and am looking forward to it.