Desolation Sound questions

eggabeewa

I'm planning a +/- 8 day kayak trip for Desolation Sound summer 2020 with wife & 2 kids. We have reasonable experience but first time in this area. Tentative itinerary is to launch from Okeover and paddle via Prideaux Haven to Roseco Bay and return. Average 10-15 km or shorter days. We will spend lazy days hiking to Black lake and Unwin Lake. Does anyone have any recommendations for nice campsites or places that would be of particular interest to kids. And any preference as to whether July or August would be better. I know it will be crowded regardless but what about bugs or weather etc. Thanks.

jefffski

Paddler
I might add the Copelands to your list. Lots to see and do. You can then retrurn to Lund from there and it's a short hitchhike or taxi to Okeover. Roscoe bay is very busy and the campsite is at the head of a busy trail. Unwin campsite is buggy. Better to stay at the Curmes and day trip it. We went in early July because it's less busy. We were flexible on our days, so we just waited for a good forecast and went then. Consider carrying all your water because it's a long carry from the lakes and I'm not aware of any other water sources (except from yachts--they carry lots of water and you could beg/ask one of them for a resupply).

benson

Paddler
I'm guessing you've had a chance to reference John Kimantas Wild Coast 3 guide in your planning. If you haven't you should. It's a bit dated, but still a good one. Camping regs make using the reservation system a good idea and the BC Marine trails..https://www.bcmarinetrails.org/...is a great source and worth supporting. I would agree with Jeffski that the Curmes are a great multi-day site as well as the Copelands. We replenished our water at the creek at the head of Tenedos Bay which is fed by Unwin...a refreshing swim spot.
Jim

jefffski

Paddler
I forgot about the new camping regulations. Regarding the water source--I think there's lots of logging in the area, so any water you do find must be treated filtered or boiled.

eggabeewa

Thanks. Yes we are prepared to take lots of water and have experience doing so previously at Broken Group and have a filter too. I know Kimantas' guide and also have Heather Harbord's and others. Thanks for the Copeland suggestion, and have heard its nice, but I want to plan to end with the last day or so near the takeout on Okeover in case of weather delays. You mention new camping regs. The latest that I have from BC parks is that you must register and pay but there are no reservations.

benson

Paddler
You're right about just needing a back country permit. We dealt with reservations in the Gulf Islands last year. Sounds like you're pretty dialed in. I do remember our last stay in the Curmes. Our first night in we didn't quite allow for the tide swing which was 13+ ft so we did the midnight scramble from our top of the island camp move our tied off, but floating boats to higher ground! Bit of an adrenaline rush, but no harm done. Enjoy the trip.

jefffski

Paddler
Re tides, we have made it a habit to bring our boat (canoe) above the highest tide line. Takes the guesswork out.

Alana

Wave Seeker
I aways tie my boat - even when I'm laughed at because I'm 20 ft from shoreline tied to a huge log or post. But you never know when God will show her sense of humor.
I also tie up my boat, no matter how high up the beach. Quite a few years ago my husband and I woke up to floating boats on Digby Island. We also woke up to our thermarests floating... but that's another story.

I've also made it a point to always put my paddles and PDF (and whatever random paddling gear) in my cockpit and secure my skirt around the coaming for the night. It makes a nice tidy package and keeps things together.