• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Desolation Sound

ckayaker40

I'm planning a trip from Campbell River to Desolation Sound and have a couple Questions. Where to launch from in Campbell River? Where to park the vehicle for a week? Is the crossing of Sutil Channel a concern? Can we shorten the crossing by landing at Marina Is.? Is it private?
Thanks for any help or comments on this.
Paul.

Hmmm... I've only done a bit of paddling up in that area, but I've always launched from Quadra or Cortes Islands. Those are the only two places I'd be able to comment on possible launch locations and parking. I'll have to look at a map to see exactly where you're planning to go (don't have one with me at the moment), but there are quite a few channels and passages around there that churn up some good currents. From my limited experience in that area, I don't recall boat traffic being a huge issue though.

I'll see if I can dig up some more info on that area for you - sounds like a great place for a trip though!

I was just going to suggest Launching from Quadra Island as well.
The ferry is cheap and parking on the island would most likely be free.

Do not launch from Campbell River, the currents are fast for miles in either direction and really rip around the ends of Quadra Island. Launch from Heriot Bay , you can park your vehicle there or has been mentioned go to Cortes and save yourself a long paddle.

Back